Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Console mbr

• Please log in to reply

ekih

ekih

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have to ask a dumb question, I will put my pride aside so I can get this fixed.
I have used winxp cd and booted into Recovery Console. I have tried fixmbr and nothing happens that I can see. Just comes back to the C:\WINDOWS> prompt. I am expecting some crunching of hd or spinning of CD. Have gone into help and it states that "fixmbr (device name)" is needed or if left blank then the boot device is used. What and where do I find the device name? Am I doing something else wrong?
I have done a chkdsk on hd and every thing comes up rosy. I have determined via forums that my mbr is corrupt and want to fix it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ekih...

Can you give me the symptoms that lead you to believe the mbr is corrupt? Are you sure it's not a bad boot.ini file that is causing problems?

wannabe1

ekih

ekih

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had loaded Power ISO and it affected my roxio. I uninstalled Power ISO and my roxio was still screwed up I uninstalled roxio and reinstalled. Since trying to reboot it does not.
just restarts.
Nobody has metioned boot.ini file could be corrupt.
The Bios sees the hd and have done chkdsk with good results.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried booting to Safe Mode options and selecting the option for "Last known good configuration"? Just from your description, this sounds more like a corrupt registry.