Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Please, XP re-install problem

• Please log in to reply

kushty

kushty

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello all, Im tearing my hair out here and I need your expert help. My problem is a while ago i tried to up to SP2 and after it installed my pC would not boot so I went into safe mode and did system restore. Everything seemed ok. Then a few days ago I did some spring cleaning using some of the programs suggested on these forums which were very good at finding "coolweb search" amongst others. I had my windows update turned of since the last attempt at SP2 But went and updated windows manually. Then, and this is my mistake, I turned off sytem restore to clear my last restore points. Then turned it back on and created a restore point. Then I rebooted and everyhting seemed fine, nice and quick. Left PC on and went to bed. When I got up in the morning and torned on the monitor I had the first boot up screen I thought it was strange, it just stayed there. So I rebooted again and it never goes past that point. So went into safe mode and tried sytem resore..... No good. Still the same. I have tried alsorts of things. Last resort was to re install windows. I tried that today, but I selected upgrade from the cd and everything seemed to be going ok. Then it stopped and wont go any further, everytime now when I boot up it tries to continue with the setup and fails again so on and so on. I can't get into safe mode or anything now. Anyone got any help?

Thanks
Steve :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It stopped where? What exactly happened when it stopped?

Can you get into the recovery console (insert cd, reboot, windows will look like it is going to install, but will ask you to run the recover console as a choice.

When you ran "upgrade" what were you upgrading? Were you in Windows? Or were you doing a text mode install?

kushty

kushty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, It stopped at the point of installing devices then I get a BSOD, it went through the preparing to install phase etc.

Yes I can get to the recovery console.

I chose "Upgrade" on my XP recovery disc that came with the PC. I am using xp home edition. I think it would be a textmode install as I booted from the CD.

Right Now it just keeps trying to continue the install and I can't stop it from doing that.

kushty

kushty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
also on the BSOD at the STOP Message there are a load of numbers etc and then it says vobid.sys.