Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Connecting ide harddrive

• Please log in to reply

Cornice Jumper

Cornice Jumper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone, I'm am new here.

I have just recently learned about the difference between 40 & 80 wire ide cables.
Therefore I am trying to change the cable on the harddrive that I bought last year to the proper 80 wire cable. The motherboard supports UltraDMA/100 and I have the manual for this board, but my confussion is that there are 4 ide slots on the board. Primary and secondary are black and identified as regular/33 slots. The Third and Forth slot are blue and identified in the manual as the ultra/100 slots. BUT, in the instructions in the manual where it describes UltraDMA/100 & /66, it identifies the Third and Fourth ide slots but describes connecting a master ultraDMA device to the primary slot...

Should I connect to the black ide slot labeled as Primary, or should I connect to the blue ide slot labeled as third??

I am having a few other problems right now also, but I will leave it at this for now.

The drive is a Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm drive with the dynamic drive overlay on it.

Thanks for any help!

Here is the specs for the Motherboard:

Processor
Socket 370 for Intel® FCPGA Pentium® III 450~800+MHz
Intel® PPGA CeleronTM 333~566+MHz
Chipset
Intel® 440BX AGPset and PIIX4E South Bridge
FSB
66/100MHz Front Side Bus
System Memory
4 x DIMM for up to 1GB PC100 ECC SDRAM
Expansion Slots
1 x AGP Slot, 5 x PCI, 2 x ISA
VGA
AGP 2X slot
Integrated 2X AGP Graphics
IDE Ports
2x UltraDMA/100
2x UltraDMA/33
Special Features
AC Power Loss Recovery
ASUS JumperFreeTM Mode
Suspend-to-RAM (STR)
Back Panel I/O Ports
2 x USB Ports
1 x Parallel Port (EPP, ECP)
2 x Serial Port (EPP, ECP)
1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port
1 x PS/2 Mouse Port
Onboard I/O Interface
2 USB Headers to Support Optional 3 USB Ports

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!, Cornice Jumper.

I would try hooking to the third slot(blue) as the IDE 0( Primary) as it is ultra100 which is a tiny bit faster than the 66 first slot. Reality is that if the computer does not see the hard drive in that slot just move the cable over to the first black slot. There is not much difference between the 66 MB/s and the 100 MB/s speeds. This is a pretty old system you are working on. Although i still have a pentium 3-450 on a old 440BX board computer i use, i mainly use it for my Linux experments. So have fun with the computer but don't spend too much money on it. I'm buying intel & AMD 2.0 to 2.5 puters now for around $150-200 that have much newer updated hardware and software on them.

SRX660

Cornice Jumper

Cornice Jumper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot. :blink:

Ya, its old, but I like the quality and it is quite speedy for its age. I put money into the hard drive, which really helped and I figure I will be able to use it in a new computer in the futer anyway. :whistling:

The other problem that I'm having trouble with is the Western Digital Dynamic Drive Overlay (D.D.O.). I still have to spend some more time trying thing yet, but when I changed the ide cable from the 40-wire type to the 80-wire one, the computer will no longer boot and I get an error with the D.D.O. This is my only computer that I use a fair bit and I have about 80gig on the drive. I really don't want to re-format the drive. I was hoping that there might be a method of altering the ddo only...

For now, I simply changed the connections back to how they were and it works the same as it did before...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Here's a good read on why your computer is doing what it is doing.

http://www.mikeshard...ect_ide_hd.html

SRX660