Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does OEM Installation CD win2000 pro have repair console?

• Please log in to reply

klw123w

klw123w

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a Sony VAIO pcg-fx220k laptop with Win 2000 pro preinstalled on it. I never got an installation CD.
I want to use the repair console, which I understand is on the Installation CD.

I've been communicating with Sony trying to get an installation CD for Windows 2000 Pro. They won't help: they won't sell me a CD- they tell me I have to reformat.. According to them the OEM version does not have the repair and recovery consoles on it, only the retail version. Any one know if that is true???

I've been shopping for a CD, but many are OEM. I'd hate to buy it and then find out it doesn't have what I need...

Thanks
Karen

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Any OEM windows CD will have the recovery console. Find someone with a win 2000 CD and get it.

Install the Windows Recovery Console After Windows is Already Installed on the Computer.

With the Windows 2000 CD in the cdrom drive( if it starts to install just cancel the install)
1. Click Start, click Run, and then type CD-ROM drive letter:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons in the Open box, where CD-ROM drive letter is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM drive.
2. Click OK, follow the instructions on the screen to finish Setup, and then restart your computer.

From this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216417

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 18 November 2006 - 01:43 AM.

klw123w

klw123w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok thanks for the info. Don't know anyone running 2000, which is why I am shoppping for the CD. Trying to fix a registry hive error. (In another thread). Thanks again.