Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I need to add some ram to my comp. Right now I am only running 256k Ram, and oh has it gotten slow. I was just going to add another 256. I have never never added it before. any suggestions for the upgrade. I am on a pretty tight budget. And as far as adding it. can I jsut add the ram and the system takes care of itself or.....

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will need to know what type of ram you need for your computer. Hopefully there will be a sticker on the ram in your computer telling you what it is. It may say it is DDR266, DDR333, or DDR400. Or it may say it is PC2100, PC2700, or PC3200. These correspond to each other. DDR266 is the same as PC2100, etc. When you know what to buy get a stick of 256Mb and just install it in the computer. If you are carefull you will notice it can only go in one way. It is a very tight fit so make sure the side pins lock the memory in.Once you install the memory just boot up the computer and it should say there is 512Mb of memory if you go to the system window. By the way, 512 Mb is the sweet spot for memory in WinXP. This computer is using 226 MB of memory with only firefox open so you can see it does not take much to run out of main memory and start using the swap file for most of the memory work( which is quite a bit slower).

SRX660