Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

combining wired gateway, switch and wireless gateway

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I had a good deal offered to me for a new (current model) Belkin wireless gateway, However, I'm not sure that it will work with my current setup. I have a wired DSL gateway with only one port. That is connected to a switch which then has Cat 5e runs to various places in the house. Can I connect the wireless gateway to the end of one of the 5e cables that is connected to the switch? At that point the layout would be phone line to wired gateway, wired gateway to switch and switch to wireless gateway. Will this allow a wireless enabled laptop to access the broadband connection?

Advertisements

CCMike

CCMike

Trusted Helper

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 40 posts
yes it will, but keep in mind that buy connecting the first gateway to the WAN port on the second gateway your going to be on two different subnets at best, and at worst you'll have competing ip's from both gateways... The best way to do this would be to plug a wired connection from the switch into one of the LAN port on the wireless gateway and allow the first to handle ALL the IP address,

This way the second gateway is acting as a wireles switch and should work fine

I have setup several this way