Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install IE7 Offline?

• Please log in to reply

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
A friend has a computer that does not go online. She wants IE7 installed (why, I don't understand, being offline, she can't browse the Internet!) but Windows wants to validate, and the computer has to be online for that process. Is there a way to install IE7 for her without being online? Or do I need to hook it up temporarily to dial up just to validate? She is paranoid that if her computer goes online she will lose her important files, even though she has back ups, and I explained the built in XP firewall should be sufficient to get her through validation. There is no other firewall protection on the computer because she isn't online.

Johanna

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Johanna...Welcome to G2G! :whistling:

Try downloading from HERE and burning the files to a cd. It didn't ask me to validate when I started the download.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 November 2006 - 01:39 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up internet exploer...then open the help menu...then click "about internet explorer"...now...anywhere you see that says "ie6" or the version number....take a big black sharpy and black out the version numbers on her screen..and write in "version 7" next to it....she'll never know the diff :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• Topic Starter
  • 3,038 posts
Wannabe1,
I burned it to a cd and copied it to her hard drive, but when I go to run the exe, it wants to validate. Her XP is A-Okay, just not online.

Monkey- She's 73, and you're probably right, but it's bugging me because she thinks I'm "magic" with computers. I don't want to disillusion her. LOL
Johanna

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a couple here it validated then downloaded necessary components, so reckon it needs to be online whatever

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There should be an IT version somewhere for multi-deployment. It's probably a matter of MS tightening up the anti-piracy controls. Would she go for Firefox?