Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton antivirus 2005 and xp

• Please log in to reply

Jimboez

Jimboez

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: While attempting to upgrade my antivirus software in xp I was instucted to first uninstall the previous version. At the completion of this procedure I was instructed to restart my computer to effect the uninstall. Upon doing this my computer failed to restart and indeed appears to be dead in the water. It doesn't load anything. It acts as if it's trying(the hard drive light stays on solid)but nothing happens. I talked to symantec and they referred me to microsoft. I may be wrong but I think my hard drive's toast. Opinions Please!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I doubt your harddrive is toast.

Boot into safe mode by tapping the f8 key during memory count up and selecting the safe mode menu options.

If it boots, run a hijackthis log and post the results here.

Jimboez

Jimboez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your response. I thought of that but the keyboard doen't work either. The only function I have currently seems to be the on off button.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
many multimedia eyboards have the Function keys off by default. You need to tap a function key lock or on key before tapping the f8 key

Jimboez

Jimboez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again Gerry.....
That didn't work either. It doesn't appear that the key board has been recognized. Normally in the boot sequence you see the keyboard recognized when a light appears on it...that ight doesn't come on

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
seems to be a remarkable coincidence.

I always keep a $4 keyboard that is simple, but I know it works in my toolkit just to avoid problems with this.

Do you have a second computer?

Do you here fans spinning?

Is this a laptop or desktop? When booting does your monitor do anything? If your computer is not on at all, you get a no signal message usually.

Jimboez

Jimboez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes fans are working. There's a light on on the motherboard. The Hd light is on steady....it's as if there is no OS to load.
As part of the antivirus upgrade I was instructed to turn off the windows firewall and as I mentioned previously also uninstall the previous antivirus softwear. Is it possible that I could have contracted a virus in that short span?

Jimboez

Jimboez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm sorry you asked if this was a laptop or desk top. It's a desktop. The monitor does nothing and there are no error signals.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No Beeps?

Nothing shows on the monitor at all?

You know what it sounds like...your CPU popped. Normally, it takes a cpu, memory and videocard to boot your system to a bios screen. Bad memory or videocard will typically cause the machine to beep like crazy, and no CPU will result in nothing happening, but sometimes, the cpu will still conduct a current, but that is it.

Computer does what you are reporting.

Video card will do it on occasion too....any old parts lying around?

Jimboez

Jimboez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh well........I think I'll pick up an inexpensive video card and try that route. The machine isn't used for gaming
Thank you for your thoughts