Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot, Huge problem

• Please log in to reply

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I read the Microsoft paper. I cannot get tothe "welcome to setup" screen with the recovery disc.

I only get the Select R, Q screen.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The "R" option is for the standard recovery...which is NOT supposed to damage your data.

Try this...with NO disk in the drive. Power the machine on and repeatedly tap the F10 button as it tries to boot...a recovery menu should appear. Click "Next" and then click "Yes".

Let me know what happens as you do this. If the recovery partition is in good shape, this should start a standard recovery operation.

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
hi,

with no disc in here's what happens:

-i get the Compaq splash screen with F1 and F10 options
-press F10
-temporary all blue screen about 40 seconds
-get Compaq system recovery screen
-option to continue with compaq system recovery or try windows xp repair feature
-if I select Compaq option, I get a message that it will reformat and all data will be lost, did not select OK, instead did a hard shutdown as there was no option other than OK

-re-started, same 5 steps as above
-this time I select using XP repair features
-get message that I have cancelled the recovery process, "what do I wnat to do?"
-select the option to restart with Windows system restore
-get meeage that pc will be restartted to run microsoft xp system restore feature
-click OK
- long period with blue screen, Restore is minimized in lower left of screen, but cannot maximize it or close it.
-about 3-4 minutes later, computer restarts and back to square one, where I get the "we apologize scree" with various start options, none of which do squat.
-computer keeps trying to restart an gets to same point.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

get message that I have cancelled the recovery process, "what do I wnat to do?

What are your other options at this point?

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
no other options

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you started the recovery, your only option was R...correct?

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
when I boot to the DVD drive with the recovery disc in, I get these options:

R for standard system recovery options
F for format drive and perform a full sysytem recovery, All data will be lost.
Q for Quit

I cannot typ annything else , like chkdisc.

When I enter R, I get the Compaq recovery loop described above

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Use the R option. That's the standard recovery and shouldn't damage your data.

See HERE. Look under the heading Recovering from recovery discs

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have been trying to use the R option. I know it's not suppose to destroy my data, that's why I am using it. It just gets me into the loop I've now described a couple times above.

Sorry, I'm getting frustarted. I thought getting the recovery CD's would fix this and I am no better off and now out $30 for the discs with shipping cost.

The link to the Compaq site doesn't help. Been there and read it and tried it. The machine is not behaving like the tech support indicates it should.

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I hit escape to boot to the DVD drive;

Insert the disc in the dvd drive and hit enter

It took me to the Compaq recovery console that I beleive in on the hard drive, IT is NOT allowing me to advance with the DVD recovery.

The COMPAQ recovery console then give me two options decribed above
1) do a full recovery and lose data
2) use WIndows xp recovery (which then does not work - see decription above)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Believe me....I understand your frustration. :whistling:

This is really sounding like the partition itself has become corrupt. If that is indeed the case, there are only a couple options open to you. One is the Destructive Recovery and lose the data. The other is to install the HDD as a slave in another machine and recover the data with the other machine.

Or...you could install a new HDD in your machine, use the recovery set to install Windows on it, install your current drive as a slave, and your data should be recoverable from there.

It's telling us that it can't find a partition to recover. :blink:

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
if I add a new hard drive, configure the current DH as a slac
ve, install windows on it.transfer the data to the new drive, Do I then reformat the now slave drive to cleam up the problem and get use of the entire slave drive??

What caused this in the first place? They only thing I did last friday was turn on the machine with a USB storage stick in the usb slot. I got an error message, took out the memmory device and rebooted normally.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a floppy drive on that rig?

I don't know what causes this problem, but I've had it happen to me, too. I ended up formatting, but I keep very current backups. I end up formatting several times a year just because of the way I experiment with it.

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
no floppy.

I see legacy power connector along with Sata power connector for another HD. don't see how to connect a second drive to the serial data cable. I am used to the old IDE cables where you could hook up multiple HDs, then configure one as slave.

I have an old 40 g enhanced IDE hard Drive I wanted to use. Is it not compatible?

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have an IDE cable for the DVD and cr-rom. No place to add the HD