Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

adkron

adkron

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

I want to upgrade to a new computer. There is a sale going on at Tigerdirect.com but I can’t find the processors they list on Tom’s CPU Chart at: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Tigerdirect says the processors are dual core and list them as:

System 1:
Systemax Venture HU2 B840 Intel PD 840 3.2GHz
Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz Dual Core processor, 1GB(1024MB) of lightning-fast PC4200 533MHz DDR2
Pentium D 840 (Smithfield, 3200/200, 1975X, DDR2-667)
Processor Class Pentium D
Processor Number 840
Processor Speed 3.2 GHz
Additional Technologies Dual-Core Technology
Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology
Memory Type DDR2

System 2:
Venture VX2 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 E6300 1.86 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running on the latest and greatest Intel DQ965GFKR motherboard
Processor Class Core 2 Duo
Processor Number E6300
Processor Speed 1.86GHz
Memory Type DDR2

Can someone tell me if these are dual core processors and where I can find them on Tom’s chart?

Thanks,

adkron

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
They are both dual core.

I see only the first one, the Pentium D 840 on the chart. But on the chart they benchmark it with 667mhz memory. In your specs it will be running with slightly slower 533mhz memory.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi,

I want to upgrade to a new computer. There is a sale going on at Tigerdirect.com but I can’t find the processors they list on Tom’s CPU Chart at: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Tigerdirect says the processors are dual core and list them as:

System 1:
Systemax Venture HU2 B840 Intel PD 840 3.2GHz
Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz Dual Core processor, 1GB(1024MB) of lightning-fast PC4200 533MHz DDR2
Pentium D 840 (Smithfield, 3200/200, 1975X, DDR2-667)
Processor Class Pentium D
Processor Number 840
Processor Speed 3.2 GHz
Memory Type DDR2

System 2:
Venture VX2 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 E6300 1.86 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running on the latest and greatest Intel DQ965GFKR motherboard
Processor Class Core 2 Duo
Processor Number E6300
Processor Speed 1.86GHz
Memory Type DDR2

Can someone tell me if these are dual core processors and where I can find them on Tom’s chart?

Thanks,

adkron

The core 2 duo would be the one to get.. The Pentium D's are trash and the older chips. The lowest end Intel Conroe which is the newer chip will out perform even the fastest pentium D. Its like going from a pentium 3 to a pentium 4 in other words basically.

The core 2 duo Conroes are completely redesigned and they whoop the older Pentium D's with a lower clock rate.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think everything beat the pentium Ds even when they were new especially the slower ones they actually got beat by single core cpus half the time.