Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvidia 6800ultra problems

• Please log in to reply

petergiblin

petergiblin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
:whistling: everytime i turn on my PC i get a sign that says my graphics card is not receiving sufficient power, this has happened for quite a while, in between 2 other PSU's (first one was a 350watt, then a 600watt, and now a 400watt). So i've sort of not bothered with it, but yesterday I was playing CS: Source when all of a sudden the screen went blank, but everything else just continued working. I looked at the graphics card, and none of the lights were on and working, and the fan had stopped moving (as well as the dust cover for it was totally clogged and gross). I figured overheating, but no.

Today I reseated the graphics card, having taken out the dust clogged fan cover. Now the graphics card receives power (the green light turns on) and the fan looks like it wants to move but doesn't seem to, and the screen is still blank.

I haven't checked the cable yet, and I'm not sure if the fan turned on automatically or would wait until a temperature threshold to turn on (if graphics cards do this).

Computer Specs:
400watt generic psu
6800ultra
intel pentium 4 3.4 HT
gigabyte 8I915P sli board
1 gig corsair ddr2

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If it happened with three different power supplies, it's most likely a dead card. The fans, especially on 6xxx series cards, run constantly.