Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 url icon issue

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Since installing IE7, all of my icons previously associated with IE internet shortcut files look like a generic icon instread of the explorer "e" on top of a white page.

I tried going through "folder options" - "file types." For the url (internet shortcut) extension the generic icon remains no matter what I change it to through "advanced" - "change icon."

For example, if I want to use the icon in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\url.dll" in the preview it will look like IE7 (blue e with yellow circle, has a red astrisk by it). I click ok, but the "edit file type" window then displays the IE6 (all blue) icon, and clicking ok again returns to the "file types" tab where the generic icon is still standing.

Also in the file types tab, if I click on "change" (for which program will open the .url extension), it will have under "Recommended programs" the IE7 homepage icon, but under "Other Programs" it will say Internet Explorer again, but with the IE6 icon.

If anyone knows what's going on with the icon or how to fix it, any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 19 November 2006 - 04:43 PM.

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi,

So other than changing the icons has it caused any real harmful side effects? I would trying searching it online to see what you can find about the icons not changing.

What windows are you running?

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi,

No, I haven't found anything yet except the icon issue. I did some more research after I posted my topic and found that a number of people have had similar problems:

Microsoft's discussion groups

Neowin's Internet Explorer forum

I have Windows XP (SP2) home edition. The funny thing is, I use the same version of windows with all the same updates and patches on both my desktop and laptop, yet IE installed normally (at least concerning the icons) on my laptop. It's like something on my desktop interfered with complete/correct IE 7 installation.

In any case, there does not seem to be any definite solution out there yet.

edit:

I think I may be on to something, but I'm not sure what to do with this discovery:

In C:\Windows\ie7 (hidden folder), the iexplore.exe file is still the 6.0 version.

It appears that IE7 installation did not reach that folder and now the files that should all correspond to v.7 are confused because of the random appearance of v.6.

Or I may be completely wrong and IE6 is still supposed to be in the IE7 hidden folder. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will set that straight.

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 19 November 2006 - 09:20 PM.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I would seriously bring up this topic to microsoft and ask them if it in fact could be the problem.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

I would seriously bring up this topic to microsoft and ask them if it in fact could be the problem.

I just checked out the IE6 in IE7 hidden folder theory on a computer where IE7 installed normally and it's still there. So I guess that's where they store the files that you roll back to if you uninstall IE7.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

No problem, thanks for your input! :whistling:

In case anyone is reading this and has a similar issue, here's what I found in the meantime:

When I first installed IE7 it was through Windows Automatic Update, so my anti-virus and other anti-malware software was running in the background. I uninstalled IE7, downloaded the .exe installer from the Internet Explorer website, disabled all anti-malware software and reinstalled. And what do you know, the icons in the favorites folder look as they should (IE7 blue e with gold halo on white page).

but

In File Options - File Types, things are still off.

The URL icon under "extensions" looks like a generic windows icon.

If you have URL selected and click "advanced" the icon in the preview is the IE6 blue e on white page.

If you then click "change icon" it takes you to the system32\url.dll icon options where the IE7 blue e with gold halo on white page appears to be selected. Selecting it again and clicking ok takes you back to the "advanced" icon preview which still has the IE6 icon.

Also, if you go to the "change" (with which program the file will open) window, there are two options for Internet Explorer. One is represented by the IE7 homepage icon (purplish house) and the other is the IE6 big blue "e."

This is all odd in general since on my other computer all anti-virus/malware live protection was running and it seems to have installed all icons normally.

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 21 November 2006 - 12:48 AM.