Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Genuine Advantage removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

slippie

slippie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought my computer through a classified ad. It did not come with an XP disc and apparantly the copy of Windows installed on it is not genuine. I would like to upgrade to IE7 but I can't because of this. I found the following files and would like to know if I can remove them and download IE7. If there is any other tricks you can give me please do. Thank you.

I found the following in C:\windows\system32:
LegitCheckControl.dll
description: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation
company: Microsoft
file version: 1.5.540.0
date created: 8/29/2005 3:27pm
size: 557kb

WgaTray
description:Windows Genuine Advantage Notification
company: Microsoft
file version: 1.5.540.0
date created: 6/19/2006 3:19pm
size: 297kb

I found this one in C:\windows:
WgaNotify
type: Text Document
date modified: 7/6/2006 7:24pm
size: 9.37kb

What will happen if I delete these? Is there anything else i can do? Thanks again.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im afraid we cant help you pirate software this is against our ToS, you will have to purchase a valid copy of windows XP to receive help on this site.

If you follow through on the WGA prompts you can report the person you bought it from and MS will sell you a copy of XP for a substantially reduced price.