Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Not Starting Up

• Please log in to reply

Tibatron

Tibatron

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
Today I tried to boot up my PC like normal. When it turned on the blue light was on, the fans were on, everything was normal, except nothing was showing on the monitor. I rebooted my computer and the same thing happened. The orange light was on my monitor instead of the green one, like it couldn't see that my computer was on.

I thought it might be my Power Supply, because my video card (X1900GT) requires a 450w PSU, and mine is only 300w. So I unplugged my monitor from my video card, and plugged it into where it was when i used my Integrated one. It worked, but the fan is very loud all the time.

Will getting a new Power Supply fix my problem? Or is the video card screwed? (The fan on the Card turns on, not sure if that means anything)

Thanks.

My Specs:
GT5028
AMD Athlon 64
Dual Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz
1.00GB RAM

Edited by Tibatron, 19 November 2006 - 09:51 PM.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
It could go either way. Try this: Connect your monitor back to the ATI card, but pull the power from any and all optical drives (CD and DVD) in your system. This will reduce your power draw by quite a bit, and, if the issue is directly power related, allow the card to start properly.

It may be, and probably is, a bad card, but in any case, you'll need a more powerful PSU to run the card, so there's no harm in upgrading now.

Tibatron

Tibatron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried unplugging the optical drives, but it still didnt work.
Wouldn't it not have worked when i put my video card in for the first time? It used to work, and i was using my 300w PSU.

Edited by Tibatron, 20 November 2006 - 05:40 PM.