Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SAFE MODE COMMANDS ?

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I've spent the last hour searching for the magic site that lists all the things you can and cannot do in safe mode.

Microsoft would be the obvious place to check...but they have taken down many of their pages in what they are calling some sort of overhaul...and what's left was no help.

Any suggestions...? Or could someone site a list somewhere that I can access? Or could someone give me an idea of which commands work there?

This hit and miss routine is boring, when you are in a panic and don't know what you can do where :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In XP Safe mode you can do most things except install other programs and use the network, though you can do this by selecting "Safe Mode with networking support" from the menu. You can change drivers in Safe Mode though, but only through the Device Manager - any setup programs wouldn't run.

Under XP you can do a lot more in Safe Mode than you ever could under Win98/ME, because it gives you access to the CD units which wasn't possible under Win98 Safe Mode.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
From what I've read, there seems to be some debate, re: access to sfc_/scannow in Safe Mode...I have not had to do this, so I, personally, cannot say... Some say yes, others say no :blink: Is there a difference between XP Pro and Home versions as to what can or cannot be done in Safe Mode?

I have also discovered that some 3rd party progs DO NOT work in Safe Mode... :help: Especially, ones that I rely on, in general.

When I am assessing progs, I try to access and run them in Safe Mode, to determine their worth, over-all. We often forget that the progs we download, and/or buy, may need to run in Safe Mode, especially those "saviour-ware" utilities...and when we get there, we find it they are a bust!

So, check this out before investing in such ware :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 20 November 2006 - 07:17 PM.