Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ali.exe Trojan

• Please log in to reply

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

Last night, by chance I decided to go into my registry and check my HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run entries
and came across
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Bandook <system>\ali.exe

HKLM\Software\MicrosoftWindows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
*Bandook <system>\ali.exe

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\(B6A807N6-42DF-4W02-93E5-B156B3FA8AL1)
StubPath
<System>\ali.exe

I checked online and discovered it was a trojan, what it did and disconnected immediatley
After booting into safe mode and running Norton Internet security it turned up nothing. So I deleted all the above registry entries(still in safe mode) as well as the prefetch file and ALI.EXE file.

After rebooting into normal mode and scanning of the registry I didn't find anymore entries or ALI.exe files.
I then went back online and downloaded new version EWIDO AVG and scanned in safe mode which also turned up nothing.

So to the point finally (sorry), did I get rid of the trojan or just make things worse for myself?

Thanks in advance for the help

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

fungit

fungit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thanks, will follow your instructions.