Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP on External Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

bev2

bev2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is it possible (and practical) to format an external hard drive so that I can boot to it? I am having some challenges - I am using my laptop and booting from a reinstallation CD. I think I will probably have to get a new XP CD to do this (yes/no?) Will I still have to choose which system to boot from when I boot my laptop (i/e./ dual boot)? My goal is to have AOL (yuk) installed and used on an external hard drive for a friend so no info goes into the registry about AOL. Is this possible? What issues do I have to worry about with formatting partitions on teh external 160 GB drive?

Thanks

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
If your BIOS on your motherboard supports USB boot you could boot directly from the USB hard drive. The draw back is USB is much slower than IDE, SATA, or SCSI. If your computer's BIOS does not support you may be able to boot from a bootloader such as GRUB.
If all you want is to boot an run AOL I would use a USB pen drive and 98 or ME. A 1gb or 2gb flash drive should be fine. But that is just me.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a note here....alot of motherboards do in fact have "Boot to USB" in the bios settings....but i have yet to see one that actually will boot windows from a usb...(i've heard that it can be done...but i've never seen it done in such a way where it worked) there are certain linux versions that will boot from usb...but the boot to usb feature is more for booting to a bootable disk that's in an external cd drive..

couldn't hurt to give it a shot though

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Possible: yes
Practical: probably not

Here's a step by step guide on how to install Windows on a usb drive, but like dsenette, I would choose Linux (a small distro like Puppy Linux) to boot from.

http://www.informati...cleID=177102101