Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msconfig error message

• Please log in to reply

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
This just started happening a few days ago. I open the System Configuration Utilility, go to the "Startup" tab, click on a program I no longer wish to run at startup and get an error message stating:

"An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator Account to make the specified changes".

I then click on OK to the error message and then the text box pops up stating the usual

"You must restart your computer for some of the changes made by System Configuration to take effect". "Restart" - "Exit without Restart".

In other words, even though the "Access denied" error message pops up, I can still do what I intended to do in the System Configuration Utility. The error message is basically just an annoyance.

I have run NOD32, Ewido, Spybot, Adaware SE, Stng260, CWShredder, you name it and my system comes up clean.

I also have a backup copy of msconfig which I used to replace the msconfig in %systemroot%/PCHealth/HELPCTR/Binaries in case msconfig was corrupt in some fashion. Still get the same annoying error message, which does not stop me from initializing changes in Msconfig.

Have also run djlizard's Repair_Permissions to no avail. Have completely shutdown Kerio4 firewall in case that was the cause, still get that annoying error message.

Have run HJT and kept the log. Can post that in the Malware forum.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Check my sig to download Startup Inspector for Windows.

Msconfig doesn't remove startup apps very well, but the startup inspector does an impressive job. Also to help stop programs from being added to your startup you may want to purchase Adaware SE w/Adwatch. The adwatch program watches objects that are added to your windows registry for startup information(RUN).

Hope that helps ya out! :whistling:

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Replaced registry using Erunt. Problem solved. Have been uninstalling programs I no longer use. One of the uninstalls must have taken something from the registry it wasn't suppose to.

Erunt saves the day again! :whistling: