Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi ... Need help with repairing my OS

• Please log in to reply

asiangirl

asiangirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer hard drive was giving me problems were it would sometime fail to load , So I got a new drive install and add a fresh install of xp , Now I would like to try a repair installment on my original drive but I don't see any listing when trying the repair option , If I try the recovery option ? I'm able to view both installment of windows xp just not when I try the repair option , Why doesn't it show in the repair process ?
Thank you guys

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go this problem might be because the disk is corrupt please try the flowing to fix this.

Click Start then Run and type
Chkdsk C: /x /r
This presumes that the original drive is C: drive if is not please change the letter to that belonging to that drive.
If you don't know the letter of the drive try leaving it out and use Chkdsk /x /r instead.

This may ask if you would like to complete the operation when you restart your computer if so press y and Enter.

It may take some time to run depending of the size of your hard drive.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
In answer to your question about the 'Repair' option, Windows will only offer that option for the partition which is currently 'active' and which is therefore the boot partition.