Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

HellFire8084

HellFire8084

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Im thinking of getting 1 GB of RAM for my computer. I need to know what kind of RAM i need for my comp. Can any1 help? :whistling:

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
What kind of computer do you have?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
What kind of computer do you have?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Everest v1.51 will not only tell you what memory that is in your computer it will also give you the part number of that memory module. It will do it for each memory slot on your computer.
Once you have installed and ran Everest v1.51 go to Motherboard and then to SPD.

*NOTE* There are several versions of Everest. While the most current is 2.02 or 2.2, version 1.51 has the most features.

HellFire8084

HellFire8084

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i have a windows xp. a dell. old one 2. only has pci slots!

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Go to www.crucial.com and have it scan your computer. It will tell you exactly what type of RAM you need.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
What proccessor speed does your computer have? Do you know if it is a PC100, PC133, or the actual bus speed of the computer? If it is a PC100 and some PC133 you may be limited to 256Mb of RAM per memory slot. Since most older Dells (P-II and P-III) came with only 3 memory slots you may be restricted to 768mb of RAM max. What model Dell is it?

HellFire8084

HellFire8084

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Its a Dimension 3000

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
From what I can tell with my online research you have 400-MHz DDR SDRAM. Your computer can handle 2 gb, 2-1gb modules. Here is the Dell Dimension 3000 Specification for your computer. It may come in handy.

HellFire8084

HellFire8084

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
k thnkx guys

:whistling:

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts