Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop and xp pro question

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have an older laptop (gateway 5300). I have a fresh install of windows xp pro in it. The problem that I have is anytime I want to swap the drives (CD Rom or Floppy) I have to shut down the system change the drive and restart.

The manual from gateway states that I should have a bay manager for swaping drive. I don't have this anywhere. I have been to the gateway site and can not find this utility.

Does anyone know where to find or what I could use for this? This is really a pain to have restart everytime. My wife uses the floppy drive alot. And we don't have a writer for this.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the System Tray? If so, do the drives show up there when they are installed?

If not, see if you can eject the hardware by right clicking My Computer, Manage, under Storage, open Removable Storage, Media. If you see either the CD drive or Floppy drive, highlight it, and click the eject icon (or right click and choose Eject).

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Do you have the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the System Tray? If so, do the drives show up there when they are installed?

Sometimes Yes I'll have to look to see if it shows up on there. I'll also have to make the icon stay there other then hidding. This I can do.

I have to look when I get home. I'm at work right now. I'll let you know, Thanks for the reply.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

The icon is not there all the time. So I went to the start and then properties to alway show the icon then apply. But the icon still doesn't show up.

If not, see if you can eject the hardware by right clicking My Computer, Manage, under Storage, open Removable Storage, Media. If you see either the CD drive or Floppy drive, highlight it, and click the eject icon (or right click and choose Eject).

Nothing showed up under Media either.

Any other ideas? I'm home now. So I can check what ever you need me to.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Just to confirm: you have one of the swappable units in the bay?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have the cd rom in the bay right now.

Just went back again and looked I have a folder under removable storage called libraries the CD drive show up under that but not under media like you stated.

I right clicked it and all I see is Infect, Inventory, all task, New window from here, Refresh, properities, help.

Edited by duley3, 21 November 2006 - 03:58 PM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Anyone else have any ideas?

Maybe some downloads somewhere (free)?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
We are talking about an external USB CD or floppy drive right?

Try this, I'm pretty sure this will do what you want : http://www.alexnolan...re/driveman.htm

Or this: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=265876

If none work then please tell me the make and model of both your CD and Floppy drives please.

-OCM770-

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

We are talking about an external USB CD or floppy drive right?

No, These are not the external type. I talking about the floppy drive and CD-Rom module that came with the laptop. I have to eject one to put the other in. They slide in to the side of the laptop.

This system used to have a baymanager utility. But after a fresh install of windows xp pro I no longer have this utiltiy. I was hoping I could find something that would allow me to swap the modules with out restarting the system.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Do you know what the bay manager was called?

-OCM770-

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I think it was call Softex or something like that.. I have looked on the site for a download and couldn't find anything.