Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I know what to delete?

• Please log in to reply

granoladude

granoladude

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey everyone. Well I decided to do some Pre-Thanksgiving clean up of my hard drive to free up space for holiday photos, music, games, and the like... I ran into a few problems along the way though... I uninstalled programs that I no longer use, but I realized that some of the folders containing info on the programs still linger. Take the game America's Army for example... I uninstalled this program, but there is still a giant folder left containing folders like "Textures" and "Maps" and "System" along with some others. As long as the program was unistalled, is it safe to delete this folder? I have always heard rumors that it is unsafe to dump a program if no uninstall is completed on it, and I want to make sure I am not deleting a hidden program or launcher or something to render my system unstable. The same goes for other folders for programs that I downloaded, uninstalled, but program info is still left.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to provide more info to help solve the problem... screenshots, folder info, etc.

Thanks in advance! :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Any folder left behind for a program you have uninstalled, should be fine to delete.

granoladude

granoladude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay cool, thank you... Are there any .exe's to look out for that would flag a folder that I should not delete?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Don't delete the folder unless you've first uninstalled the program. Secondly, be aware of software installed on your computer that supports the components in your computer, the graphics card comes to mind ('cause I've done that!). If you see a program in the list that you don't recognize, be sure to double check Device Manager or do a quick Google search to see what kind of software it is.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
If you've still got useless files left over from uninstalled programs, run CCleaner (CCleaner.com) - it works a treat, and will speed up the internet, too!