Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS XP Pro SP2 Reboots on Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

qballbandit

qballbandit

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello all,
On one of my older systems, an XP3000 platform, I have an issue where upon doing a normal shutdown, it closes out the desktop and looks like windows will shut down and the box will power off, and then it reboots.
Looking at some older google posts, it listed Roxio software maybe causing it - which I have none, or a restart after power problems option set to "on" (or whatever), but mine is off.
Not sure if it is a Windows problem, or a hardware problem, but would love to hear some suggestions. I have not tried the Recovery procedures listed in these forums yet, but will very soon. But still, please throw some ideas my way, as I have been trying to solve this for months.

Thanks to all,
Neil :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What operating system?

qballbandit

qballbandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Linda,
Thanks for peeking at my post! I believe I stated XP PRO SP2 in the title, and it's by my sig area...

Thanks!
Neil

Edited by qballbandit, 21 November 2006 - 01:45 PM.

qballbandit

qballbandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'd like to bump this for another try.
Any responses welcome, and appreciated.
Thanks all,

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Sorry for dropping your thread.

Look at this link for other troubleshooting tips for the reboot issue. http://www.windowsne...s-Shutdown.html

What antivirus software do you run? Is it updated and have you scanned recently? What about antispyware software?

Is there anything you can pinpoint, software or hardware you might have installed, just prior to the reboot issue starting?

Are all of your device drivers updated?

Do you have a registry cleaner utility? I recommend Easy Cleaner by ToniArts. You can download it here: http://personal.inet...rts/ecleane.htm ** Always backup the registry or take a restore point before making any changes to the registry.

qballbandit

qballbandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Linda,
Thanks much for revisiting this thread :whistling:
Yes, I have McAfee and it auto-updates regularly - Clean virus scan too. Also, I run weekly: ADAWARE, SPYBOT, CCCLeaner, EZCleaner, TuneUp Pro, Spywareblaster - all updated every week with latest definitions.
The reboot issue, well it's hard to say what or when it manifested itself. I added no hardware to the machine, however, software comes and goes. I do try to run complete uninstalls, and rid old registry items with some of the above listed programs.
I have tried using my XP Pro recovery CD that came with the rig, but even the repairs haven't fixed the issue. I will definately check your link above today, and report back.
The hdd is defragged regularly, and in great shape - and page fragments are in check as well. No operating issues when the pc is up and running, no bsod's or anything of that nature. This is why it's hard to determine whether it's a Windows issue, or hardware issue. But I can't see any hardware that is malfuntioning, or at least showing any noticable signs of causing this issue.
I will report back after browing your link.

Thanks again Linda,
Neil :blink:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You could try SFC (System File Checker)
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Edited by LindaGail, 13 December 2006 - 04:03 PM.

qballbandit

qballbandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks again, I will certainly try this. I have not heard of this yet. Your post from an earlier reply led me to one other thing to try, the rest I had already attempted.
I will report back!!

Thanks much,

qballbandit

qballbandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Good morning LindaGail,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I didn't forget! :blink:
I tried SFC using the recovery disk - which is all I have, and during the first 3rd of the process it came up with quite a few files to recover, but it did not recognize my disk as valid. Funny, I can use that disk to reformat and reinstall, so I wonder why it doesn't like it.
Anyway, after making it through the whole scan without being able to restore those files, I am still in the same boat. I guess at this point I either have to live with it, or decide on a time to reformat and reinstall the OS again. I dread that because this is the computer I use to VPN into my desktop at work, and there are just too many things that are a hassle to rebuild.
Either that, or it could still be a hdd problem that I can't seem to resolve, if it is even repairable. At any rate, the PC works just fine when it is up and running.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, though my ears are still open for more if you have any!

Take care,

Edited by qballbandit, 27 December 2006 - 08:26 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
From the link in Post#5, did you turn off automatic restart and wake on lan?

You can run checkdisk on your hard drive. Open My Computer, right click on C:\, Properties, Tools, Error Checking/Check Now. You'll get a blurb about running the test at the next restart. Tell it Yes/Okay. Then the next time you reboot, the checkdisk will run.

Regarding the problem reading your Windows CD: is this the same CD you've always had and used for this computer? If so, check the back for scratches, smudges, etc. Use a soft cloth to clean the back (something like a lens cloth), then try running SFC again.

You might also consider repairing your Windows installation (if your computer will read the CD).
*** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You may have to reinstall other software you had installed.

qballbandit

qballbandit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
"From the link in Post#5, did you turn off automatic restart and wake on lan?"

Yes, I did. Actually, they were always off.

I will keep all the info you posted for recovery, and hold out until I can't stand it anymore, then try it.

Thanks much,