Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cricket/Chirping noises from pc

• Please log in to reply

Lee101

Lee101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So heres the deal. The computer is only 3 months old, built by me. I had problems with one of the drives and had to RMA it. so i was sent another. Now two months later im getting a chirping sound from my computer. It happens every minute like clockwork. Chirp Chirp chirp chirp fading in then out like a cricket. I opened the case and tried to identify where it was coming from but its to hard to place. Don't think its the fan cause i've cleaned them all, unless its bearings or something. Plus its too much of a patterned sound for it to be something hitting against it. Ive heard its the drive thats going to fail soon and i've heard it could be the processor. So what do u think ????

Advertisements

Lee101

Lee101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
oh and i ran Western digitals lifeguard tools on both drives and scan disk and the noise happened through out these processes. Ive backed up already.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
did you have another spare harddrive at your disposal?- I would bet it would be the disk running too hard, but ive seen some other solutions to these problems as well

Have you ever tried running your computer open (without the case) **this is dangerous if you do NOT know what your doing --- to try and see if you can locate the sound?

Lee101

Lee101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah i did open the case and had the comp running but could not locate the sound. I have two drives one for windows and the other for programs.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
see if you can one by one disconnect each harddrive booting to the ones u use less and disconnecting to the ones that are used more- do any of them feel hott after running?

Lee101

Lee101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok so i have my C drive (the drive with windows on it) running and unplugged my G drive (the drive with all my programs and info on it). I still hear the noise. ill try the opposite but i guess i cant run windows at all. oh and the c drive was not hot

Edited by Lee101, 22 November 2006 - 07:49 AM.

Lee101

Lee101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well its not the hard drives cause when i had the C drive unplugged i still heard the noise. I guess its got to be a fan. I find hard to believe its the processor right??

I have a Lian Li case are there fans known to be crappy

Edited by Lee101, 22 November 2006 - 08:12 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your processor won't chirp...get linux...one that runs from the CD drive ...they wont use your hard drives at all ...I recommend puppy linux...it runs totally in ram...get the ISO file and use your burning program to burn it as a image (iso)...

http://www.puppylinu...e.php?page_id=1

if your burning program does not support burning ISO files get burncdcc...a small no frills ISO burner...its free...

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

set the bios to boot from the cd first...

when you have booteted to puppy linux you will notice the HD lite does not blink..(its not bring used) is the noise gone...if so 1 of your drives is bad

Lee101

Lee101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
happyrck - tried what u said and the noise was still there that relieves me thanks for the tip

so now i have to assume its a faulty fan

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
This probably isn't going to be any help but I wanted to give you advice. When your building your own system you can get overwhelmed and a lot of fans out there are horrible when it comes to making noise. And yes after 3 months it is very possible. I just bought a new power supply and they call it a stealth but the thing at times makes a high pitched eeeeeeeeeeeeeee that drives me nutts. It's not broke, just the way the fan was made. I guess some of the fan people assume your going to have a certain amount of "background" noise and those types won't bother you.

If it is a fan going out I would go around your case unplugging different fans to see if the noise stops. Hopefully it is not coming from the motherboard fan or power supply.

Other than that you should be good to go. :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we have eliminated the hard drives as the culprit....you can't disconnect the cpu fan ...it will/can kill your cpu...but you can disconnect 1 case fan at a time for a couple of minutes at a time to see which one is the problem....disconnect them with the case unplugged and be sure to be static safe when touching anything inside the case....be sure case is unplugged when plugging them back in too...repeat process until you find problem device...

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Yes I apologize I should have mentioned that in my statement, turning off your motherboard fan is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Thanks for that catch! :whistling:

Lee101

Lee101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yup its the hard drive fan on the front of the case :pheew: i thought this was a serious problem. Thanks guys

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello Lee101,

No problem glad we could be of help! :whistling: