Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD ROM reads but won't write

• Please log in to reply

alaskamon

alaskamon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In my wife's Dell Dimension DIM 3000 the SONY cd rw SHOWS UP AS "DISABLED" and is not in MY COMPUTER and the Samsung SD 616E will read fine but will now acknowledge that a disc is in the unit when I try to write. She is a lot easier to get along with when her computer is working properly. HELP
jack

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
hello and welcome to the forums,

Have you changed any settings recently or did it just stop working? Do you have the recovery disk or drivers disk for the CD RW?

I would first start by:
1. Right click on my computer
2. Click hardware tab
3. Click device Manager under the hardware tab
4. You will see a number of entries, go down to DVD/CD-ROM drives and click on the + sign.
5. Do you see any red X's or Yellow warning signals?

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers again?

andy

andy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
plug them in one at a time, it sounds like one has got a fault so that will check that out, if that doesn't work it could still be a Windows problem :whistling:

Edited by andy, 25 November 2006 - 01:24 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If the drive no longer shows up in "my computer" you could try running the CD Gone patch. Go to
http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php and look for
The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed. For more information on this and other possible causes, see the “Problems” section of Alex Nichol’s Burning CDs in Windows XP article.

alaskamon

alaskamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hello and welcome to the forums,

Have you changed any settings recently or did it just stop working? Do you have the recovery disk or drivers disk for the CD RW?

I would first start by:
1. Right click on my computer
2. Click hardware tab
3. Click device Manager under the hardware tab
4. You will see a number of entries, go down to DVD/CD-ROM drives and click on the + sign.
5. Do you see any red X's or Yellow warning signals?

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers again?

Thanks for the help but I am running XP and I can't fin the hardware tab after right clicking on My Computer.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
To find Device Manager, go to Start, then click Run, and in the run box type in devmgmt.msc
and click ok. Continue with instructions above.