Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless laptop not recognizing the network

• Please log in to reply

slp472

slp472

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
All of a sudden my laptop started saying network cable unplugged and I couldn't find my cable connection from my main computer to it. Now I have the network on it's sights but I still can't log on. Can anyone help me out? Thanks so much!
Stace

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. First, try restarting the computer, and see if that helps. If not, I want you tp unplug the power to both the modem and the router for at least 15 seconds. Next, restore power to the router, and wait for about 15 seconds. At this time, plug in the modem, and wait for about 15 seconds. Make sure all of the right lights are on, and then see if you can connect. Keep us updated :whistling:

slp472

slp472

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried all that. I unpluggeed my router from my main computer (Dell) and left it off for 3 minutes. plugged it back in, then turned on the Dell and then the Gateway laptop. The laptop is still not "seeing" the network. Correction, it sees it in it's list but does not connect to it. :whistling:

diverseo

diverseo

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i had a similar problem today , and i found the problem was that router had mac address control was on, just my 2 cents worth, hope u connect

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I was just going to suggest that. Good suggestion :whistling: Check that, as well as any other security filters.

slp472

slp472

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't know how to check those.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, that's alright. What type of router do you have? On most routers, you can open Internet Explorer, and type in as the address: 192.168.10.1 and press enter/go. You see have a login box. By default, the user name is admin, and so is the password. If not, you might have changed it, or someone else did. Once you login, you'll be looking for something along the lines of MAC filtering, which might be in the security tab, providing you have one.

slp472

slp472

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK, I will look. When I let windows try to repair my network it says it can't finish because it can't clear the ARP cache???? But I will go try this now. Thanks!

slp472

slp472

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with Speedbooster

slp472

slp472

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ummm, where do I go to be able to type in that address. I didn't get a login and am not sure I am in the right spot. DOH!