Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio but no video

• Please log in to reply

navvy

navvy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there
I'm trying to load my old analogue camcorder tapes onto my PC for recording onto DVD. I have fitted a Pinnacle DV/AV PCI card for the capture but no matter what software I use for the capture, either Pinnacle Studio 10/Nero/Windows movie maker none of them show anything in the preview screen yet I can hear the audio.
My graphics card is one fitted with the PC, a Sis 650 and I have installed the latest drivers for this. Windows recognises the PCI card and I have installed what I think are the latest drivers from Pinnacle. Only other message I get is from Movie maker which says my capture device is in use by another program even after a reboot.
Has anyone any experience of this??

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go,

I apologize about the delay. Please give me some time to research the answer. In the meanwhile please answer the following questions for me.

Your connecting your cam to the video card directly through AV cables?

Have you tried a different set of AV cables?

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
This may not relate to you but I thought I would post it anyway. It might answer your video question:

Analog In, Digital Out

Before you can start copying all of that footage onto digital media, you need some way to capture all of the video in your PC. I'm assuming you already have an IEEE 1394 port (also called FireWire or i.Link) on your PC. Many new computers come with an IEEE 1394 port, but if yours doesn't have one you can buy an easy-to-install IEEE 1394 add-in card for around $70.

The IEEE 1394 port will help you transfer video from any Mini-DV or Digital8 camcorder to your PC and store it on the hard disk. Your old camcorder or VCR doesn't have an IEEE 1394 connection. So what do you do?

Take a look at your new digital camcorder. Many have analog inputs. If yours does, it's a snap to transfer the video. Just pop an analog tape into your VCR and connect its outputs to the digital camcorder's analog inputs. Next, plug the camcorder into the PC's IEEE 1394 port.

When you're ready to capture, set the camcorder to playback mode and press the Play button on the VCR. The video will go from the VCR to the camcorder, where it'll pass through the IEEE 1394 cable into the PC. If you start your video capture software and begin recording, you can capture the entire tape in digital format on your PC's hard disk.

navvy

navvy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply Patrick,

I have an analogue Camcorder I have connected to a Pinnacle 500 -PCI card, I have checked the cables and their fine. I think their is a driver problem/conflict but not sure. I have tried Nero express, Pinnacle Studio 10 and windows movie maker all with the same result- no video!

Cheers

Chris