Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad power supply?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The current concensus is:

Bad processor...2 (heat related failure)
Bad mobo.........1 (mobo may have taken processor with it)

It's going to be pretty tough to work in the BIOS with nothing to tell the machine what to do with the information and no video. Perhaps replacing the BIOS chip would be a way, but that really isn't done to much anymore...if at all.

I have seen processors take a last gasp before...usually right after doing something like resetting the CMOS or having it unplugged for a while. The only way to be really sure is to have it checked as a unit.

Advertisements

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thank You, wannabe1 for your help again. I will see if I can take the unit somewhere and have it checked out with the proper equipment. I will advise you as to the outcome. Thanx again.

poppyal1.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's always a pleasure to help you, poppyal.

There's a gentleman's bet on this one... :whistling:

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I had a similar problem. Turned the PC on, the on button light flashed orange and made a beeping sound, 'beep...beep...beep...'
Also, the fan made a whirring noise like it was trying to start but it couldn't.
No Windows, no Bios screen... nothing.
I took it to a local computer shop which said they would have a look at it for free. It turned out to be a dead motherboard and power unit.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 24 November 2006 - 07:42 AM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I wouldn't be surprised if that is his problem also, the sequence of events adds up to.... Dead Mobo, maybe the bad P/S was not working properly and put out to much current/voltage although i doubt this, safety circuitry would prevent it.

-OCM770-

Good Luck :whistling:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
O.K. I'm selling my daughter-in-law a barebones kit. I'll continue with the old mobo and CPU and keep you posted. My question now is: Is there much difference between an 'MSI Socket 775 mobo with an Intel celeron D 3.2 CPU' and an 'ASUS Socket 478 mobo with an Intel P4 2.6 CPU'? Will there be much variation in stability, speed, etc.? THanks.
poppyal. (I dropped the '1').

Edited by poppyal, 27 November 2006 - 08:42 PM.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks VERY much for the help while I was in the 'chat'.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome, poppyal!

Go with the Asus bundle. I've had pretty good luck with MSI, but Asus rocks! That's all I put in machines I build. And don't be afraid to look at AMD. AMD processors are less expensive a tend to run cooler.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well, I have the ASUS board in my own 'puter. I was thinking of trading the MSI that is coming with the barebone kit for it. But if you feel I should keep what I have, I'll do just that. I was just thinking of the newer style and faster? CPU maybe being a step up for me. (I don't feel bad if I swap - I'm only charging her $212.00). And that's a new case and all.

Edited by poppyal, 27 November 2006 - 08:53 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What model MSI board are you looking at? They do make some pretty darn good boards, but some of the lower end boards tend to be a little weak...particularly when it comes time to upgrade. And...how much are you spending on the MSI bundle? The whole $212?

Advertisements

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
MSI mobo #661fm3-v, and the kit is costing $185.00 for mobo, CPU, case, P/ S and CPU fan. The rest is for ink and a surge protector for her. My profit on this deal will be in rebates of $80.00. Not a lot, but it is family.

Edited by poppyal, 27 November 2006 - 09:09 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give me a bit and see if I can find a good Asus/amd bundle.

In the meantime, have a look Here and Here for what I'd like to see in your machine when all is said and done.

Put your stuff in her machine... :whistling:

Gonna be tough to do that for $212 with case and PSU, though.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Sorry, wannabe1, but I didn't understand the last line of your last post. Why would it be tough?

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I guess I do not understand CPUs. I was under the impression that the higher the GHz, the better/faster the unit would function. Wrong, huh?

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hey, all, I gotta go for a bit. Please add your post/s and I'll get back to this. I guess I have a long way to go and a lot to learn yet. I wish I could help people in the manner that you all have helped me.
Be back in an hour or so.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
poppyal.