Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can this laptop be saved

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ptchrissy

ptchrissy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi -
I have a Compaq Presario laptop that I bought reconditioned back in early 2001. Windows 98 operating system.

It got infected with spyware/malware last October. My brower (IE) is permanently hijacked by about:blank and there is other junk on there that prevents me from downloading fixit software. I have tried using help sites like this (the Net Integration Forums) to fix things but have been very frustrated in this process.

In addition, the hardware holding the screen upright is shot.

The question is: presuming I should chalk the laptop up as a loss, how can I "clean" its hard drive so, if I chuck or donate it, all my old emails and files won't be accessible to future users? I have heard that the only way to ensure this is to physically damage the hard drive. Is this true?

Alternatively, if there is a way to fix the screen, add memory and install a new operating system and new browser (i.e, Mozilla/Firefox), can this laptop be saved and who can save it for me?
Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
Welcome to G2G :tazz:

well I immediately rebel at the thought of scratching any bootable computer off as a loss. We have a strong "never surrender" policy in the anti-spyware community.

you mentioned being helped at the N-I forums, what did they have you do? If you are actively being helped there then you should continue following their instructions.

Edited by Avohir, 04 April 2005 - 03:14 PM.

ptchrissy

ptchrissy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Avohir, thanks for emailing me back.

I was getting help at NI and ended up posting a lot of HijackThis logs, running CW Shredder, etc. However I was not able to follow their instructions and reply to them quickly enough and the correspondence broke down.

My current plan is to go through the steps that Geeks to Go advises, then resort to the boards if that doesn't work.

My main problem right now is that the steps require installation of anti-virus software and also say that you should only have one anti-virus program installed at a time.

NI had me install AntiVir but it did not install correctly so does not work, but is still on my system.. how can I un-install it so I can go through the Geeks to Go steps.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
what do you mean "the correspondence broke down"?

The people at the N-I forums are very qualified, and if they have already been helping you with your problem, it is easier to have them continue. If someone else starts in on an existing case, especially one that has already been partially handled, there is a lot of time lost trying to figure out what has already been done. If your topic got closed from inactivity, I believe you can PM a moderator over there to reopen your topic.

ptchrissy

ptchrissy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
okay. Will do.