Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 Upgrade, Display Problems

• Please log in to reply

wvbear

wvbear

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I upgraded XP Pro to SP2 and now can only start Windows in VGA mode. I have done a lot of research on this and have narrowed the problem down to a known issue with certain LCD monitors and graphics cards that have their drivers updated with the SP2 upgrade. Everything else on the system is working fine, other than that I cannot save the display settings on reboot.

If the system restarts or is shut down, VGA mode has to be chosen or the monitor goes black just before the desktop loads. I am currently starting in VGA mode and then changing screen color to 32bit and resolution to 1024x768. It works fine that way. But it's annoying and shouldn't be a problem.

The graphics card is integrated Connect 3D Radeon X300 with ATI driver version 8.301.0.0.
The monitor is a Planar 15" LCD.

I tried finding an older driver for the card but was unsuccesful. And I've used a couple of Microsoft's knowledgebase articles relating to the problem as well. Nothing has worked so far.

Any suggestions/questions?

Edited by wvbear, 27 November 2006 - 10:29 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wvbear...

Did the procedures you've tried include rolling back the drivers?

wannabe1

wvbear

wvbear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Unfortunately, I uninstalled the card in device manager early on in the process. So now, I don't have a previous driver to roll back to. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of machine is this? Make and model number...

wvbear

wvbear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your help, btw (just wanted to let you know I appreciate your assistance).

It's an Ultra/Systemax machine, so the model number won't tell you much. Here are the particulars, however...

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) (automatic updates running)
Pentium D 3.0
Intel Mobo D955XBK AAC96732-406
Intel BIOS BK95510J.86A.2015.2005.1111.0907 11/11/2005
1GB 533 MHz DDR2
Connect 3D Radeon X300
Amtran PL150M (Monitor)

Thanks again :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give These Drivers a try.

wvbear

wvbear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That takes the driver back to 8.203.0.0, but it didn't change anything. :whistling:

wvbear

wvbear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:blink: :help: Long day :) :rofl:

Ok, after >5 hours on the phone with microsoft, 3 complete reinstalls of sp2, and >10 hours (less 45 minutes for lunch), I'm nowhere further than I was when I woke up this morning.

Every time sp2 is uninstalled, windows loads without any problem. After sp2 is installed, windows cannot load. I get the windows splash screen with the progress meter for < 1 second and then the system reboots. I then get the message, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." The options are safe mode (standard, w/ net, and w/ cp), last known good config, and start normally. Safe modes are all fine, but the other two both restart the system right back to the same spot.

When I enable vga mode, windows loads fine and I can even change all the video settings, as stated in the original post.

I've tried 5 different display adapter driver sets so far. I've upgraded the bios and updated every available driver on the mobo.

I would just say screw it and just enable vga mode on startup except for the fact that I cannot restart the system remotely anymore. If I do any work on the system and have to restart it, I'm stuck until someone goes in and restarts it in vga mode.

C'mon Geeks!! Let's roll up our sleeves here!!! Someone has to have an idea... :whistling: