Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card upgrade/options for a laptop

• Please log in to reply

tester1354

tester1354

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an IBM T40 Thinkpad laptop. M Centrino 1.6GHz processor, 1GB ram, 80 gb hd, 32mb radeon 9000 vid card, bluetooth, etc... I am extremely pleased with the laptop. It's actually very fast and has lots of good upgrades/options and the battery has a life of 7.5 hours!! 4+ hours with gaming, dvd'ing, music, etc.. Only downside is the graphic card. It actually does pretty good for what it is but I would like to upgrade it even still.
I have called IBM and I've gotten two different answers about whether or not the video card is onboard/integrated or not. One said yes and the other no. In checking out the details of the card in the o/s it doesn't state anything about being integrated (like the other devices, ie. sound,etc) and it has a pci bus number too, which integrated devices do not (if I remember correctly but could be wrong on that).
How can I definitively find out if it is integrated or not (preferably without opening it up)? What are my upgrade options, if any? I would like to have a card that is 128 memory if at all possible. If it is integrated and/or there are no upgrade options is there not a way I can share a part of my 1gb of ram and dedicate it to my video adapter? That would be just as good in my case because it's basically only the video memory I want improved, more so than the processing of the card itself. Any info on this? Thanks

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Sorry to say but this laptops video card cant be upgarded. The video card is intergaret onto the motherboard, but has its own RAM (doesnt use RAM from the system). There are only an hand full of companys that allow video card upgrade. Dell and Alienware are the ones I know about. Alienware allows the customer to do the upgraded but Dell needs the laptop to be sent in for them to do the upgrade. Sorry for the bad news, and I hope that this helps.