Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to install a graphics/video card

• Please log in to reply

learning15

learning15

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have a Compaq 6010US and recently have decided I wanted to upgrade my graphics card. I just bought an ATI Radeon 9550 Video Card (AGP). The problem is, when I try to install it into the AGP slot, it keeps hitting against something, which doesn't allow me to actually put it in. I don't know too much about the inside of computers, but it looks like there is some sort of "lock" surrounding the AGP slot that might be interfering, but I don't know for sure. I have tried to take it off (not pulling too hard, though) but it doesn't move. Any help on how to install this would really be appreciated. I have been trying to get it to work all day, and have been through all the internet guides and but none of them mention this. I have included a picture of the thing surrounding the slot (It is black and has a tab at the end).
http://img221.images...cture005ey3.jpg (if you zoom in you can see it really well)
http://img147.images...cture012ov6.jpg

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That's the retaining clip to stop the card from working loose. When you install the card, you should be able to pull the little clip back, slide the card in and then it holds the card in place, and you secure it at the back of the case.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yes, Neil Jones is correct. Just look towards the back of the AGP slot and you will see a small plastic pin. It is spring loaded and just needs to be pulled back slightly to release the card. Same thing for installing a new one. Pull it back slightly to clear the slot, install the card, then release the pin.

learning15

learning15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey thanks for the replies. I was finally able to install it and its working fine.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
haha sry just a small suggestion, i kinda noticed the amount of dust accumulated in your case. It would greatly improve cooling and prolong the life of your computer if you cleaned it out. a can of compressed air will do wonders, of course tis just a suggestion u may choose to ignore it completely.
Anyways glad you can install that agp card and have fun