Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crash

• Please log in to reply

sandcrab2

sandcrab2

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok, i was running halflife 2 minimized and talking on aim with my friend. i finish talking, select halflife 2, and i get a message saying "the disk C:/ could not be written to. The data has been lost", and the computer completely freezes, not even the mouse will move, so i turn it off. When i try to turn it back on, the hp load screen comes up, and the screen jsut goes black instead of a windows loading screen. I reattempted booting windows several times to no avail. PLEASE :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sounds like your hard Drive has died. To double check you can open up the computer and find out what brand of HD you have. Then go to the HD makers website and download their utilities for the drive. Most will have instructions ontheir website on how to make a bootable CD with the utilities. Run the CD and see if you have any problems with the drive. If you do you will need to replace the drive. If the drive does not have any problems you will need to use a Windows XP CD to repair the OS.

Heres WD's instructions for an EXAMPLE on how to make a bootable diagonostic CD.

http://wdc.custhelp....amp;p_topview=1

Heres how to do a repair install with a windows CD.

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

SRX660