Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Internet History

• Please log in to reply

tifosi

tifosi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys/Girls

I did a search but the terms are pretty widely used.. internet, history, deleting.. etc.

Using IE7, I would like to know how to delete browsing history, further than clicking on the cog button and then clicking delete browsing history... Is it necessary to go further than doing this? Could my history still be traced having done this?

The reason I ask is that my workplace are having a complete audit of the network system, and I wonder if I could get in trouble by having my history stumbled across. Is it possible to track internet history through our central server? Or is this information only held on the local machine?

I appreciate this may be a very newb question, but I'll be grateful for any help you can give!

:whistling:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello here are the steps to follow.

Click on the Tools menu, selecting Delete Browsing History.
When the Delete Browsing History dialog box appears, click Delete history
Confirm your decision by clicking OK on the dialog box that follows.
Click OK to close the Delete Browsing History dialog box.

Another options would be do download something like CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ Not only will this delete your browser history but a lot of other things to that you might like to remove.

I would think that they do track your browsing from the central server. It is so easy to do that there should be not reason for them not too. If you don't want them to see what your doing maybe you should wait till you get home.

Hope that helps

tifosi

tifosi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the pointers Michael. I know I should wait, but I guess it's a little late for that! Thanks again. :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can also tell Internet Explorer to delete History every time you close the browser, but like Michael pointed out, they already know where you've been, since your work computer is on a network.
Johanna