Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD driver not being detected

• Please log in to reply

omegjs

omegjs

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have a cd reader drive that was working fine, but didn't burn. I bought one that does burn, but when I put it in, I am pretty sure that I put it in correctly, the computer will not detect it. I then put back on my old one and now it is also not being detected. Both did have power tot hem as I am able to open and close the drive door. I am running Windows 98 and I know the new drive is compatible, plus I definitely know the old drive is. Any suggestions and thank you in advanced for your help.

omegajs (aka Jennifer)

Edited by omegjs, 24 November 2006 - 09:07 AM.

Advertisements

andy

andy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Check that it is jumpered correctly and that it is detected in bios, on some older boards you have to tell bios that it is there! :whistling:

omegjs

omegjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you so much for replying...come to find out...it was a me error. All the cables in the back were in good and tight but then I followed one of them to the source and I must have wiggled it slightly lose in my changing it out. It is detecting it now....BUT I am having trouble burning. I am looking into it and not really sure what the deal is right now. It is reading CD so that is good, but not writing. I am using an older version on Nero that did work in the past. Do you have any suggestions for this new problem?