Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless home network with slow internet

• Please log in to reply

bodben

bodben

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey!

I have some problems with my network and I would like to ask your help.

We have a network of four computers. We have 1 Mb DSL internet with a regular router (DrayTek Vigor2200E). Two computers are connected with cable to the router and there is a wireless access point also connected to the router. One destop computer and a laptop are in different rooms of the house and they are connected wireless to the access point (D-link G700AP).

They are part of the same 'network' and it is working but I have two problems.

One is that the two wirelessly connected computers often do not "see" each other or if they do the speed of communication between them is very low, far lower than the speed of internet.

The other problem is that though internet works great on the two computers connected by cable to the router, the wirelessly connected desktop computer has often very slow internet connection. Sometimes if I start the computer again it gets faster but I cannot find a pattern in it. It is a brand new computer with Windows XP Pro on it.

Thank you for your help!

Advertisements

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
what wirless channel are your running on, ido you have a lot of neighbors that also have wirless internet, i would recommending changing to wirless channel 1 or 11

bodben

bodben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am using channel 1. I only see one other wireless network besides mine and that one is using channel 11.

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I am using channel 1. I only see one other wireless network besides mine and that one is using channel 11.

Hi, don't know a lot about the tech side of networking though I have set a network up in the house with four computers which now seems to be stable. My main problem was my daughter’s computer which is two stories up and has a wireless connection via a network card. I found it was the distance between the router and the card which was the problem which included several walls. I drilled through a wall downstairs in order to take the cables through to another room which in effect cut out two walls and installed the router there. This improved the signal. I know the distance can be advertised as 300mtrs or so but I don't think allowance is made for obstacles and other interference. Don't know if this will be possible for you and your problem might well be settings but it is worth being aware of.

Ste

bodben

bodben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Actually, a good idea, but I have both the wireless computers in the same room as the access point, which should mean that this is not the problem.