Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Serious Error

• Please log in to reply

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
according to google:
48 degrees Celsius = 118.4 degrees Fahrenheit

thats not that bad, however are you taxing your system or running this with nothing else running? start up some counter strike force, play for a little while and then see where the temp is, i dont know much about this program so hopefully it keeps a logfile in case your computer crashes again.

as for the voltage, well i plain just dont know enough about electricity and computers to tell you that information, maybe someone else can chime in. the way I would test these things is by replacing the power supply and see if that works.

there is a cool power supply article here though: http://www.hardwares...printpage/181/5

what concerns me is your negative voltage, It should be as close to the values in your picture. notice your your -12v is actually -7v and your -5v is actually -.23v If im right then that appears to be out of tolerance, possibly meaning a bad power supply, but i must say this is pure speculation as I am no expert when it comes to this kind of hardware troubleshooting.

Edited by guyonphone, 06 December 2006 - 07:22 PM.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I won't help you on a hardware issue as that is my weak point but I'll get a tech to look at this. Your fan speeds and temps look great.

Go to the S.M.A.R.T tab and select your hard drive, on the bottom of the program you'll see two indicators: performance and fitness, what do those say?

I doubt your P/S is bad, I'll get a tech to look at this.

-OCM770-

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
heres the S.M.A.R.T Tab:

s.m.a.r.t.JPG

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Looks fine, I already PM'd a tech to take a look.

-OCM770-

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bobbobagan...

Do you hear an audible "click" sound when the machine shuts off?

As was mentioned earlier, the PSU voltages are a bit low. The 5v leg is particularly concerning as it's that leg that powers the system slots (PCI, PCIe, AGP) so any card in a system slot could fail when being used hard...for that matter, it could be the motherboard shutting the machine off to protect itself from voltage fluctuations.

That being said, start the machine in Safe Mode and run it for a while...does it still shut down in Safe Mode?

wannabe1

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hey Wannabe,

I can't say I hear a clicking sound as my PC shuts off...

how do I start my pc in safe mode? Do I change something in the BIOS?

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
How to get into safe mode.

method A:
1.turn off your computer.
2.turn it back on, and Immediatley start tapping your "f8" key and dont stop until you get a special menu.
3.use the arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight "safe mode with networking" and hit enter,
4.The computer will then go to another screen asking you what version of windows you want to run, hit enter again,
5.it will load to your welcome screen, choose your name or "owner"
6.Now it will give you a warning telling you your in safe mode, just click yes, it will then load safe mode.

Method B:
1. in normal mode click start > run.
2. type msconfig into the open box, then cick ok.
3. click on the boot.ini tab, put a check next to "safeboot" and a dot next to networking click ok.
4. A dialogue box will appear and ask you to restart, hit the restart button.
5. your computer will restart and go directly to safe mode.

WARNING: if you use method b it will keep booting to safe mode until you go back into the msconfig and uncheck safe boot.

Edited by guyonphone, 08 December 2006 - 05:58 PM.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi there,

First of all, Sorry for the very slow reply. I have been on holiday for the past month and havn't been at my PC.

Just turning on my PC before I recieved a 2nd 'Blue Screen of Death'

This time I wrote down the Technical Information. I will post it below:

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xAAFBC&1D, 0xA8A789F0, 0x00000000)

*** kmxcfg.sys - Address AAFBC81D base at AAFAF000, Datestamp 4517dbbc

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
Physical Memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or technical support for further assistance.

Any ideas now guys :S

Chears and once again sorry for the slow reply.

Bobbobagan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have THIS installed on the machine? Note that this was formerly eTrust.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
CA Internet Suite? Yeh I do

I have:
  • eTrust AV
  • CA Personal Firewall
  • CA Anti-Spam

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's the application that's causing the blue screen. Do you have the installation cd's or is it a download?

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I purchased it off their website and downloaded it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's see if we can figure out which one is causing the problem. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, see if you can find an entry for these applications in the list of programs. If you find them, remove the ticks from the checkboxes next to them and apply the change. Reboot.

Upon restarting, you will see a Selective Startup dialog...this is normal, tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok". These applications should not have started with windows and you are unprotected, so don't surf during this test. It would be prudent to disconnect completely while running without protection.

Let me know if the BSOD's stop with these applications not running.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The blue screens would only show up some times, they wouldnt happen every system boot. For what I am aware of, if it was CA Anti-Virus causing blue screens, I will be in touch with CA and try and get my money back off them.

I am on another PC now, I will look around for another anti-virus program. If the blue screens do show up again for any other reason, I will return to this post.

Thanks for your help Wannabee & Guyonphone, much appreciated.

Bobbobagan

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The blue screens would only show up some times, they wouldnt happen every system boot. For what I am aware of, if it was CA Anti-Virus causing blue screens, I will be in touch with CA and try and get my money back off them.

I am on another PC now, I will look around for another anti-virus program. If the blue screens do show up again for any other reason, I will return to this post.

Thanks for your help Wannabee & Guyonphone, much appreciated.

Bobbobagan