Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB trouble

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I have 4 USB 2.0 ports on my computer, and they don't seem to be working. I think this because any time I plug anything into a USB port, I have to press it to the side for the port to reconize it. An example of this is for my USB Network Adapter-When I plug it into the port, a small icon on the screen will pop up, saying that the adapter is looking for a signal. Then it will dissapear. When I press the adapter firmly into the side of the port, it will be reconized and will work. This is the same case with any other USB device. I need to clean the USB ports, if possible. I would love any help or advice, as my gaming PC is without internet becauase of this problem. Thanks ahead for any help!

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-dllp117-[USB Trouble]-25th Nov 2006

Hi dllp117 – I will see what I can do – but I need more info !!

I think this because any time I plug anything into a USB port, I have to press it to the side for the port to reconize it.

Sounds more mechanical/installation problem – Give me more info on your PC –
(1) What type- Desktop – Tower – Laptop
(2) How old is it
(3) Purchased or Had it built
(4) Has it been damaged – dropped or bumped into
(5) Can you give me details on Motherboard – Manufacturer – Model Number
(6) Or are you talking about an Expansion USB Card
(7) How long have you been experiencing this problem –
(8) List any other relative information that I should know

Is it all of your PC Ports ? Are they properly aligned thru the case – or is case bent – Sounds as if a ground connection may be loose or improperly connected on PC Motherboard –

Usually the rear Ports are – Hardwired Connectors that attached to motherboard that has to fit thru the case. However there are some Jumpers & 4 or 5 Pin Header Connectors that may not be connected properly – The worst case would be a – Cracked Motherboard – or perhaps it may be overstressed during the installation & causing an intermittent connection -

Usually on the PC – these are the Series A type & usually align pretty well, but if is the Series B or the Miniature type – then there may be an alignment problem.

If you are talking about an Expansion USB Card – then perhaps the board is not seated properly or secured properly – and by applying pressure to the connector – you are moving the board into a better contact with the motherboard -

Not being able to see the problem – or how & what you mean by –

I have to press it to the side for the port to recognize it.

I am only guessing at this time – so you have to help me out here –

If I can obtain your Motherboard information – I can research the USB specifications& view the USB Configuration/Installation – Online – And list the possible/probable problems ??

Also what does this refer to????

I need to clean the USB ports, if possible.

Did you spill coffee / something on PC??? or did the USB Cable get caught on something & got damaged??

Does Mom and/or Dad know of problem??

Jack123

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Jack123-thanks for responding, and sorry for the late reply, i haven't been able to get onto the computer that has internet in a while.
to naswer your questions in order-
1)my computer is a desktop with a tower, of course.
2)i got the computer used from a friend, and it is an AMD 2600+, so it's fairly old...
3)like i said above, i purchased it from a friend.
4) from what i know of, it has never been dropped or bumped into.
5)the motherboard is a Matsonic MS8177c
6)no, the usb is attached directly onto the motherboard.
7) i have been experiencing this problem for several weeks. at first, when i would jiggle the ethernet adapter/whatever i had plugged in, it would be regonized. but then, several days ago, it just stopped respondiong at all.
8) that's all the important info i can think of.
to answer your other questions-
from what i can tell, everything is straight. i'll still take a closer look, though.
what i ment by "i have to press it to the side for the port to recognize it" is that if i press whatever device-lets say my internet adapter-to the side while it's in the USB port, the computer will recognize it.
and what i meant by "i need to clean it, if possible" is that, the first time i experienced this problem, at first i thought that it might be dust. so i blew (with out any spittle) into the USB ports, and a heckofa lot of dust poofed out. then the USB ports worked fine, for several days or so. this method doesn't work any more, unfourtenately. i didn't spill any liquid or anything on it, in case you thought that's what i meant. and yes, by parents do know of the problem.
i'm getting a new motherboard (hopefully) for christmas, so this isn't a do-or-die problem, but i would still like to have internet for the holidays; it would be handy for gift shopping.
thanks for being so helpful, and, again, sorry for the slow reply.

dllp117

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-dllp117-[USB Trouble]-29th Nov 2006

The response time is fine – We know that when you are having problems – your PC access time is probably limited – It is me that is supposed be with the quick responses – Sorry for missing your response –

I did locate some info on your motherboard – but Matsonic wants you to deal with your – Vendor – Distributor or some 3rd party – for support – They will set up an E-mail account with you – They did have some downloads – other support pages, but nothing that I was looking for – I will give you their websites – They appear to be Asian – They do have a Outlet in California –

Matsonic MS8177c - http://www.matsonic....ata/ms8177c.htm
http://www.motherboa...nic/MS8177C.htm
http://www.motherboard.cz/driver/

FAQ - http://www.matsonic.com/mb/faqs.htm

Matsonic Computer Co http://www.matsonic.com/mb/about.htm

I did locate the USB Wiring info – I will give instructions later – This is the wiring connection between the USB Chipset & the USB Connector Assembly on the Motherboard – Perhaps one or two of these pins/wires are faulty – or got bumped/ knocked loose – Has anyone been inside the case for repair or upgrade – around the time this problem appeared – Has the case ever been cleaned out thoroughly to remove all the dust bunnies??

Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name

1 +5V 10 +5V
2 Data - 11 Data -
3 Data + 12 Data +
4 GND 13 CND

Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
1 VCC 2 VCC
3 USBDT0- 4 USBDT1-
5 USBDT0+ 6 USBDT1+
7 Ground 8 Ground
9 Key 10 OC#

I am wondering if you have any Manuals/info on the Motherboard and/or your Case?

i got the computer used from a friend, and it is an AMD 2600+, so it's fairly old...
3)like i said above, i purchased it from a friend.

Are you still in contact with your friend? I wonder if he/she could discuss some of these problems, that could be useful – Also how long have you been using this PC, before running into this difficulty -

i have been experiencing this problem for several weeks. at first, when i would jiggle the ethernet adapter/whatever i had plugged in, it would be regonized. but then, several days ago, it just stopped respondiong at all.

This leads to more questions –
(1) How much pressure were you exerting –
(2) How many cables do you have –
(3) How many USB Devices do you have – Describe –
(4) Need more info/description on your Internet Devices –
(5) Is it the Ethernet connection or USB connection or both –
(6) Maybe you have a bad cable – or wrong cable –
(7) Ethernet connectors have a small plastic tab – that locks the connector – if tab is broken off – Cable will not be secure enough for a solid connection -

I am still trying to decide whether it is physical or electronic problem – so here is some items to do – Download the free Edition of Everest – Install & create 4 HMTL Reports – and attach them to your Post – Make sure that you – Attach – the reports – Do not try to include with text or paste them with your Post – They will be too large for Posting in Forum – They need to be sent as an Attachment – Otherwise they will be truncated –

See the Attachment – It contains –
(1) Everest Download Instructions –
(2) Run Instructions
(3) Creating HTML Everest Report Instructions
(4) Attachment Instructions

Another question – Your Profile states you are from Oregon – but your Posting Time Zone is not Oregon – Are you posting from Oregon or from somewhere else 0r is your PC Clock in error???

Just something I noticed -
See Attachment –
Jack123

Attached File  02_Instructions_EVEREST_Report_Attatchment.doc   32.5KB   37 downloads

Edited by Jack123, 29 November 2006 - 07:53 AM.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
unfourtenately, I do not have any of the manuals for the motherboard or cpu. My friend lost them a while ago, but I am still in contact with him. When I told him about the problem he looked for them, but he couldn't find anything. He has no idea what's wrong with the USB, but he's offered to help fix it if I ever find out whats wrong with it. in answer to your other questions, the last time I opened the case was to put in mre ram, and that was months ago. After my USB stopped responding at all, I opened up the case to dust lightly with a eyeglasses rag, but that didn't seem to help...
I was not exerting too much pressure when I pressed on the USB device-firmly, but not enough to cause any damage to the device. It's hard to describe amounts of pressure, but it was fairly firm, but I was more holding it to the side, rather then pressing it.
I have several USB cables; 1 for the internet adapter, the other for the Ipod, another for a digital camera...
I have three USB devices that I use consistantly on my computer. One is my Ipod nano, that's pretty self explainitory. My internet adapter is a Linksys Compact Wireless G Internet USB Adapter. It's a receiver for wireless internet, as you probably knew. The digital camera I use is a little Largen Chameleon Mega Digital Camera. It's nothing too special, but it works.
I noticed that I've been calling my USB internet adapter an ethernet adapter-sorry for that. My family computer is so old that I needed to get an Ethernet Adapter for it, and I keep the boxes next to each other, so I guess I'm just used to seeing Ethernet Adapter.
But I know that the problem is my USB prots for two reasons: 1) My dads laptop gets internet fine. 2)When I started expiriencing problems, I plugged my Internet Adapter into the family computer, and I was recoginzed immediatly. The same was true for the Ipod and the digital camera. So I can rule out having a wrong/bad cable.
So I guess I'll download Everest-thanks for attaching it.

I also noticed that my posting time is weird...my computer clock is okay, and I live in the heart of Portland, Oregon, so I don't know why that is...
thanks again for all you help
dllp117

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-dllp117-[USB Trouble]-2nd Dec 2006

Ok – I am just trying to determine if your problem – is – Physical – or – Software related – It appears to be physical – being that you can get the USB Devices to work by applying pressure to the cable -

That leads to two reasons –
(1) Bad Motherboard Connection
(2) Loose Internal Wiring on USB wiring inside Tower

Now You can get a lot of Computer Information from – System Information – Folder –

System Information –
(1) Click on – Start Button –
(2) Highlight – Settings –
(3) Click on – Control Panel –
(4) Open – Administration Tools – Folder –
(5) Open – Computer Management – Folder –
(6) Expand – System Information - Folder –
(7) Open – System Summary – Folder & wait a few seconds –

Now you can obtain Motherboard info – may be called/identified as System Manufacturer & Model- which you can – Google – this info & obtain a Manual for Motherboard & Motherboard Layout – so you can check on the USB Connections & wiring for physical damage -

Also Everest ahould be able to supply Motherboard Information -

Now the another method that can be used – is to Use – Device Manager – in conjunction with your physical fix & perhaps we may be able to narrow down the problem – I can give specific instructions/guidelines on – Device Manager - & other software diagnostic tools to use –

So if you can post me your Everest Info and/or Motherboard Info – I can assist you on the Searching for a good Website - And then I can feed you some instructions & troubleshooting techniques that you & your friend may be able to use –

I figured you had USB & Ethernet mixed up – that’s OK – I just wanted to know if there may be an additional problem -

About the time – it may be a –Forum Issue –
No big deal – I thought it may be your PC – Usually if the Time keeps getting in error – It is a sign that your CMOS Battery is dying – and needs to be replaced -

I can still work with you on this issue – Like I said – I can give you ideas & methods to pursue – My method is to Run Device Manager & See what Device Manager reports when you fiddle with USB Port –

I can give you instructions – for Device Manager to show USB History – that may be useful –

Let me know –
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 02 December 2006 - 12:31 AM.

kewal2913d`

kewal2913d`

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I think that it's a plain hardware problem.
I would recommend going to the corner hardware repair shop and have them check it out.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
well, my friend felt bad about the usb problem, so he got me an early christmas present: a new usb port card. i installed it onto the motherboard, and now its working good as new! thanks for all the help, jack123; I really appreciated it.