Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving Menu Bar in IE7 to the Top

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When I installed Internet Explorer 7 just a short while ago, I noticed something very annoying. For one, the Menu Bar wasn't even visible by default, but that was changed by a simple VIEW-->TOOLBARS and clicking on MENU BAR. After I did that, the real annoyance began. The Address Bar was ABOVE the Menu Bar and you couldn't change it even if you unlocked the Toolbars and tried to move the Address Bar down manually.

I quickly did some research on this, and found out that this can be changed. :blink: To make the Menu Bar appear at the top, you have to do the following:
  • Close Internet Explorer.
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regedit to open the Registry Editor.
  • Naviage to the Key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser.
  • In the white area to the right, right-click and select NEW-->DWORD and label this new entry ITBar7Position and hit ENTER.
  • Double-click the ITBar7Position entry you just created to open it's properties window and change the value from 0 to 1.
  • Close the registry editor.
  • Open Internet Explorer 7 and you will now see the Menu Bar at the top.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 January 2007 - 05:09 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
:whistling: Thanks, Fenor! Just filed that away in my notes!

Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong, and is almost always caused by NIS

Awww...c'mon...NIS isn't that bad.... :whistling:

Johanna

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Thanks Fenor. I just installed IE7 on my new socket 939 computer that I built myself. I will try it out there for a while and then decide if I want to update my trusty socket 754 (the one I am using most of the time). Just like you, I didn't like the menu bar position. Thanks for this fix!

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
this doesnt work with vista, any ideas on how to? Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Worked fine for me in Vista. Just did it. Make sure you are using DWORD and NOT QWORD.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY TO BE USED ON THE WINDOWS VISTA OPERATING SYSTEM!!

You can download the registry entry for the fix from HERE. Just right-click the link and choose SAVE AS or SAVE TARGET AS and save it to your desktop. Once downloaded, double-click the file on your desktop and click YES to the warrning about are you sure you want to merge the following with the registry. Once it's done, open up IE7 and it will work fine.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 March 2007 - 07:43 PM.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Ok and what if I wish to change the entry I made back?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I don't know what you did, whether you created the wrong type of entry, put it in the wrong location, misspelled it, etc... All I can say is that you undo what you last did.

Fenor

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I don't know what you did, whether you created the wrong type of entry, put it in the wrong location, misspelled it, etc... All I can say is that you undo what you last did.

Fenor

Oh no, I done nothing wrong, Im just saying what if I wish to change it back in the future? how do I undo the setting?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
All you'd have to do is go back into the registry editor and delete the ITBar7Position entry you added. Just a simple right-click and DELETE and close the registry editor and you're all changed back. Of course, make sure you don't have any IE7 windows open when making the change. :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Awesome tip, thanks Fenor! Of course, I use Firefox most often, but I did always wonder about that...

Cheers!

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Awesome. Do you know how to put the file menu where it should be in Windows Live Mail?