Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA disk installation

• Please log in to reply

maaaark

maaaark

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello

I'm having trouble separating SATA issues and posts from those discussing RAID.

Here I just have one SATA disk. When I plug in, it is not recognised in the BIOS.

Do I need drivers to make it be recognised?

P.S the motherboard is an Asus P5B.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
See if this seagate tutorial will help you.

http://www.seagate.c...ata_detect.html

you may have to change the "boot order" in the BIOS to boot from the Serial ATA controller (sometimes represented in the boot order as the drive model number and sometimes as SCSI). If your motherboard has onboard serial ATA connectors, you should have been prompted to install the drivers for them when you installed the motherboard. If you didn't install them at the time of the motherboard installation, then you should be prompted during a "Plug and Play" process by your OS to provide drivers. We recommend going to the serial ATA controller manufacturer's website for the latest drivers.

SRX660

maaaark

maaaark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
This implies that 1) I must have SATA drivers and 2) that I can only install SATA drivers during the OS install. However, I would expect a SATA drive to be recognised by the BIOS, irrespective of the OS.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There should be two of three options in the BIOS: One to turn on SATA in the first place, one to tell the BIOS what mode to run it in (Legacy, Native, RAID or compatible) and one to whether to treat SATA drives as IDE drives, thus skipping the need to use F6 in the first place.

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
We have this problem down at the office when swipping an SATA Hd and re-formatting it. We have to download the SATA drivers for the mob and run them from a floppy before format. First time I swiped a SATA it was nightmare for me cause I could not get the HD to be recognized. Once I got the SATA drives everything went smooth..

If your installing windows xp.. It will prompt you on install ( f-6 ) to install the SATA Raid drivers before you format and this will allow the Mob to recognize the Hd.

Edited by evilwizard, 26 November 2006 - 06:55 AM.

maaaark

maaaark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello. I found the SATA options in the BIOS, indeed. I can either have SATA full mode (4 drives possible), comptabile mode (2 drives poss) or disabled, but this is not the issue. SATA is enabled but drives are not recognised by the BIOS alone, the OS is needed too (and therefore using F6 etc)

Now the problem is the OS install does not accept the SATA drivers I prepared on a floppy. I dont even know whether I should be using 32 or 64 bit or the version of the driver. There are many on the menu.

I need more info from Asus, or redo the disk, or panic.

Mark

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yeah.. I had the same problem and it took three tries before I got the drivers to take.. I got all the drivers possible and put them on a floppy. I think some need to be unzipped before putting on a floppy. Then I just kept re-booting and going through the F-6 till I hit on the right drivers.. It was a nightmare..

One thing.. Make sure you get the right drivers for the right main board.. Some have more than one set of SATA - Raid drivers to choose from..

http://www.asrock.co...RAIDDriver.html

http://support.intel...b/cs-008847.htm

Here are two places that will give you some more insight on SATA RAID Drivers..

Edited by evilwizard, 26 November 2006 - 07:47 AM.

maaaark

maaaark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I found another BIOS setting, the SATA mode. Setting this to RAID and not IDE, Win XP install works (after also having redone the install floppy.)

I now need to determine if the original drive (pre-installed win xp) will work.