Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yellow exclamation mark in device manager

• Please log in to reply

kelicious

kelicious

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey, thanks for looking into my problem

I'm not too sure about my drivers and stuff, but when i saw the yellow exclamation mark in the device manager next to SB PCI(WDM), I went into properties.

In the device status window it says:

The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (code 2.)
To fix this, click update driver to update the device driver.

So I clicked update driver and did what it said, but nothing changed.

Im also not getting any sound, and when I try to access the DirectX diagnostic tool, my computer just hangs and I have to restart.

and on top of that, whenever I try to restart or shutdown my computer it just sticks around on the "WINDOWS IS NOW SHUTTING DOWN" screen and never switches off so i have to do it manually.

This is what is displayed in the microsoft system information for my computer:

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:00:17:32
Normal mode
On "OEMCOMPUTER" as "Vicki"

GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
127MB RAM
82% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (2529MB free)
Available space on drive C: 2529MB of 6122MB (FAT32)

Thanks again for your time

kelly

Advertisements

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
The yellow question mark means the drivers for that particular device are not installed or working right. First off you have to identify if the device works off the motherboard or is a card, ie - PCI slotted or AGP ect. If it's off the motherboard you will need to get the drivers for the device from the company that makes the motherboard. If the device is PCI - AGP , slotted you will need to look at the cipset on the device and or look on the device for a model # and get the drivers from their web site under support, drivers and downloads.

One place that is good for finding drivers is.. http://www.driverguide.com/

Most drivers are zip files.. I usually download them to a folder on the c-drive and then unzip them there. Then I install the driver for the device..

One other thing.. I tend to not trust Microsoft for driver updates. After a fresh install I right away check my device manager and install any missing drivers before I do any windows updates. In the past I have run into problems with Microsoft driver updates..

Hope this helps.. :whistling:

Edited by evilwizard, 26 November 2006 - 09:23 AM.

kelicious

kelicious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey thanks so much for your reply, your a champ..

one thing, im not sure how to find out if my device is off the motherboard or if its a card?