Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up problem

• Please log in to reply

mboy12

mboy12

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi for some reason my computer running windows 98 refuses to log on to the startup page.it loads up normaly and after the sign in screen it gives the following message. EXPLORER-this program has performed an illegal operartion and will be shut down,if the problem persists contact the program vendor.I tryed to restart in safe mode but i got the same message.can some one please help!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mboy12...

Click Start, then Shutdown, and choose the option to "Restart in MS-DOS Mode"...click "Ok".

At the DOS prompt, type scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter". You will be presented with a window containing 4 or 5 files to restore to. Choose the second one down in the list and press "Enter".

This will restore a previously saved copy of the registry and will (hopefully) allow you to boot all the way to the desktop...providing the explorer.exe file is not corrupt.

wannabe1

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
hi,the only problem is that i cant even get to the start menu!what do i do??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...overlooked that little detail... :whistling:

Do you have a floppy drive on the machine you are on now?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes i do

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download this Win98se Startup Disk and save the file to your Desktop.

Double click on the downloaded file and put a new floppy in the floppy drive when you are prompted to do so. This will create a boot disk that we'll use to restore that copy of the registry.

Let me know when you have this disk ready.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i have the disk ready now,what do i do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Put the Startup Disk in the machine that won't start and turn it on.

It should boot to the floppy and offer you options to choose. Press The Shift and F5 keys together to get a command prompt (A:\).

At the A:\ prompt, type c:windows\command\scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter". You will be presented with a window containing 4 or 5 files to restore to. Choose the second one down in the list and press "Enter".

Once this completes, remove the floppy and restart the machine. See if it will boot to the desktop.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
after following your steps the computer worked fine but about half an hour later the smae problem happend again.During the start up it asked me to put in my windows 98 serial number and after doing so i got the same explorer problem message.hat am i supposed to do about it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the Win98 installation cd?

Advertisements

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes i think i have it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have the cd and the product key, we can do a repair installation. Are you near enough to the problem computer that I can walk you through this?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes its right next to me..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to the floppy again, only this time choose the option to "Start with cd-rom support" and press "Enter". You will eventually get the command prompt (A:\) again.

Put the Win98 installation cd in the cd-rom drive and close the tray.

At the A:\ prompt, type e: and press "Enter".

At the E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and Press "Enter".

Setup should begin checking your system.

Once this completes, in most cases the installation will begin.

You'll have to be my eyes on this one...if you run into something unexpected, post back...I'll be here.

This operation will not effect your data and things should be just as they were...only with good system files.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
where exactly is the "Start with cd-rom support" option,how do i get there?