Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp problem

• Please log in to reply

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi spike hacker:
i described the problems in the original post, here are some of them

1. desktop background picture was changed (i changed it back)
2. time was changed back one hour (i changed it back)
3. outlook calendar does not have my synchronized events from pocket pc
4. CD/DVD rom icon are missing, and when i check thru device manager both drivers have a yellow symbol next to it, probably missing
5. when i plugged my thumb drive in, there is no recognition
6. windows media player, realone, and jukebox not working properly, i downloaded the windows media player new version and it works
7. i dont know if the computer will recognize my pocket pc, i dont want to synchronize it if it may delete my information.

i used system restore but no resolution

what caused the problem?

thanks
shoey

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hi, Shoey
Go into Device Manager (type win key and "pause break", then click hardware tab) and see if Windows can update the drivers for your cd & dvd drives. You should see a yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. Check your sound drivers while you are in there, too.
Johanna

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi johanna:
thanks for your help
i went into control panel, system, the device manager and driver are on the same screen, i clicked windows update and ok the default option which is....if device needs a driver, go to windows update without asking, but nothing happened....i had the yellow exclaimation next to the CD and the DVD all along, i clicked on it, the message is..
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

pls let me know, thanks
shoey

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
please close this post as i have solved the problems myself since there was no response.