Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Overheating

• Please log in to reply

TobiasTred

TobiasTred

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Having a problem. I installed a game about a week ago. After playing it for a
little while it kicked me out of the game and back to the desktop. Thinking
there was an error I rebooted leaving the game disk in the drive. Once it started to reboot it tried to look for some file on the CD. (I didnt write it down, I know , I know)
I ejected the disk thinking another reboot should fix it. After trying that i got an AIBooster error and it asked me to either go into the setup or boot without overclocking.
I choose to boot without overclocking, thinking it was the safest thing to do. Now im having a problem with the process overheating. The ASUS Probe gave me a temp of 140 on the CPU and 110 on the MB. The processor has a heatsink and a fan along with 2 chassie fans. Everything was fine before I installed the game and had the AIBooster error. More then likely the game didnt do anything but somthing happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tobias

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Make sure your cpu fan is working, then go into bios and post back the temps or if the temps are normal the uninstall the game and reinstall AIBooster.

There is the possibility that the game messed up AIBooster and you are getting false readings, but again check that cpu fan and check the temps in bios and report them back

Rick

TobiasTred

TobiasTred

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I already uninstalled the game and AIBooster. I though that since I had the error
in AIBooster it would fix after the uninstall but it didn't. AIBooster really
isnt necessary cause im already running a 2.8 and is fast enough for me.

I did check the bios last night and I did notice a difference between
the temp in the bois versus the temps on the ASUS probe. Ill check them
tonight again to make sure.

The maching was custom built by my brother-in-law who is a computer
engineer, but lives 3 hours away. Ive been talking to him on it but its tough
to diagnose without sitting in front of it. Just hoping if anyone had a similar problem
wtih AIBooster.

thanks

Tobias

TobiasTred

TobiasTred

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I checked my temps for the CPU and MB.
When I first started the computer I went into the setup
to check the temps there and it gave me a 50C on the CPU
right at start up and climbed to 52-53 before I continued to boot.
The MB was less of course.
When I checked the ASUS Probe it was around 44-46C.
So right there is a difference, not much but a difference. But why?

Thanks

Tobias

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I have a Abit board that does that, its some kind of calibration error
Here is a unscientific test I did to see witch is correct and I later confirmed it with a themel probe

When the computer has been off for 3 or 4 hours take note of the room temp. Power on and go stright into bios and read your cpu temp as quickly as possible.
It should be the room temp plus about 3c to 5c this is the heat the cpu will generate till you get into bios and anything else would be a misread by the mobo sensor

In my case with this Abit board my bios cpu temp would read 50c but in windows at idle Abit EQ would read 37c. Thru doing the above with some trial and error I was able to determine Abit EQ was correct.

What I don't understand is the software and bios read the same sensor so my guess is that the software somehow corrects it.

Rick