Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winsock Corruption

• Please log in to reply

crescent222

crescent222

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello, my winsock and winsock2 registry keys have been corrupted, so there is no connection to the Internet via IE, Netscape, Skype or anything else.

ipconfig lists the DNS Suffix but no IP address, gateway

ping command returns "Unable to initialize Windows Sockets interface, error code 0"

netsh command returns "Initialization Function InitHelperDLL in IPMONTR.DLL failed to start with erros code 10107"

Tried to reset winsock and winsock2 registry entries by deleting them but regedit hangs on deleting or renaming winsock2. On renaming, the new keys go effective but old winsock2 key stays. These are the instructions on the MSFT website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Tried running WinsockXPFix.exe- it hangs

System is XP Home Service Pak 1

Help!

Edited by crescent222, 26 November 2006 - 04:44 PM.

Advertisements

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Try running winsockXPFix again but when you run it make sure you dont click anything with your mouse or type anything because sometimes that can make it hang

crescent222

crescent222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Didn't work. It hung again. This time it seemed to do something under a command shell and it went away- but I don't remember if that happened the last couple of times also.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, if you get your router set up page, run basic set up

Has the router got a reset button, or you could unplug it for a minute then plug it back in

Have you rebooted the PC

crescent222

crescent222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Neither of those worked. I still don't have a new winsock entry in the registry. This reboot didn't seem to put one in.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got SP2

crescent222

crescent222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Not on the computer in question. It's SP1. Not sure how to get SP2 to that computer without an Internet connection. Would I need any verification of a proper Windows copy? I'm just not sure where the documentation is.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check here for this section

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811259

Windows XP without Service Pack 2 instructions
To repair Winsock if you do not have Windows XP SP2 installed, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.

Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

For more information about how to back up the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.micro....com/kb/322756/) How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.
Step 2: Install TCP/IP
1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
2. Click Install.
3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
4. Click Have Disk.
5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

If Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) does not appear, follow these steps:a. Click Start, and then click Search.
b. In the Search Companion pane, click More advanced options.
c. Click to select the following three check boxes:• Search system folders
• Search hidden files and folders
• Search subfolders

d. In the All or part of the file name box, type nettcpip.inf, and then click Search.
e. In the results pane, right-click Nettcpip.inf, and then click Install.

7. Restart the computer.

crescent222

crescent222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was there. It didn't work. I could not delete or rename the WinSock2 registry entry- it would hang the regedit application. Consequently, the reboot did not create new winsock or winsock2 entries.

I ran the instructions to reinstall TCP/IP anyway- did not seem to work. I notice that in msinfo32, the Protocol section does not look like what MSFT says it should- does not have entries that start with MSAFD

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try rebooting to safe mode to try it, if nothing changes, run the first part of this, then if you can use another PC to download and save to disc, get tune up and run that, then retry

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Advertisements

crescent222

crescent222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, I did all those things, although disk cleanup seemed to hang, so I ended it. The problem is still there.

I actually didn't need the CD to run sfc /scannow.
I found it interesting that in one profile, I could run sfc fine, but in another profile (the one likely used to go to questionable sites), sfc /scannow got this message:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.].

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Start>>run>>type in....... services.msc click ok

look for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator services are they both stopped try to start the automatically high light by clicking on it and on the left you should see restart try that see if that helps then try sfc /scannow

or if you have xp disk use it for a repair

crescent222

crescent222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I had to start RPC Locator manually, but that did not help the SFC process. It hung, so I ended it. I still cannot delete winsock2 in the registry. It still hangs.

I ran an old copy of ewido from mid-2006, and it found all kinds of malware but a key one, logo1_.exe keeps coming back to c:\windows and the Mcafee anti-virus on-access scanner continues to be set to off-line on boot.

and the main problem- a corrupted winsock that I cannot replace with an original one is still there.

I am going to run sfc /scannow again and go to sleep- back in 5-6 hrs.

Thanks for all the help- everyone here is so generous!

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
You might try 2 programs. "Big fix" and "Dial a fix" have worked for me in the past for several problems.

crescent222

crescent222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Dial a fix didn't help. The core problem is that I cannot delete winsock2 in the registry or do a netsh command. Dial a fix does not get around those problems.

This is killing me. I found this page
http://www.z123.org/...rt/xpipzero.htm

It suggests reinstalling ipmontr.dll and again deleting the winsock keys.

After getting ipmontr.dll back into c:\windows\system32, I still cannot run netsh.

Is there anything else I can try? Will I have to reinstall Windows? I'm not even sure how to do that.