Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word: Lines in corners

• Please log in to reply

chialeuse

chialeuse

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

Some lines shaped like an "L" have apeared in all of my documents and I can't remove them.

Thank you very much for any help.

Mia

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Which version of Word do you use? Is it totally updated? Have you recently upgraded?

Please attach a screen shot so we can see exactly what you've got? Do these unwanted characters show up on the screen as well as the printed page?

Did these characters just show up? Do you now see them on a document that previously didn't have them or do they appear only on newly created documents?

chialeuse

chialeuse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here are a few specifications: I use Word 2003 SP2. I have always done the updates. The unwanted characters don't appear on the printed page. They appear on my new documents and on my old documents that didn't have them before. The screen shots is attached.

Mia

Attached Files

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Those look like text boundary marks. In Word, click Tools menu, Options, View tab. Is Text Boundaries (under Print and Web Layout Options) checked?

chialeuse

chialeuse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No Text boundaries is not checked....

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Back in Tools, Options, Compatibility tab, verify that Recommended Options for is set to Microsoft Word 2003. Also see is anything under Options is checked.

Did you upgrade from another version, and if so, which?

chialeuse

chialeuse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I bought Word 2003 new. Reccomended options is set for windows 2003 and no option is checked.

Mia

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try a Detect and Repair from the Word Help menu. Those marks aren't default behavior.

chialeuse

chialeuse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did detect and repair and the line disappeared, but I now have a new problem. Everytime I start Word now, a window installer window opens saying and after and other window opens. Basically, what it says is "put the office cd back in". i don't know how I did that and I don't know were the office cd is. However I still end up being able to open word.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try this:

Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs
Scroll to Microsoft Word
Click the Change button
Choose Add or Remove Features
Check "Choose Advanced Customization"
Hopefully the next screen will present Word with a HardDrive icon/button next to it. Click on that Hard Drive button and choose Run from My Computer.

Click OK (or Next) to finish.

chialeuse

chialeuse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Finally I found my microsoft cd's!! Everything is back in place, thanks for your help :whistling:

Mia