Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secondary HD

• Please log in to reply

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I have a 320GB HD as my primary, and a 80GB for my secondary. My secondary has been sitting there not in use. What should I, or can I do with it.

Also I have a question, When Vista is exclusively released for everyone, and placed on comps as the defult OS for windows, can I take my primary HD and transfer everything to the new comp with Vista, or install Vista on the HD and hook it up to the new comp. I'm very confused about this topic.

My comp:

Dell Dimension 2400

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel®
Pentium® 4CPU 2.66Ghz
2.66 Ghz, 512 MB or RAM

I know quite a bit about comps, and love computer technology, but Im still learning so. I need some help understanding Vista. Can I run it on this comp, (thats barley plays Halo).

p.s. - I've signed up for a few Microsoft thingys, and they given me like a full, gigantic download of Vista, so idk. Whats the latest and the best do far. idk

Advertisements

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
You could use the 2nd drive to store an 'image' of your system for back up and recovery purposes.
using programs such as
Acronis True Image
Norton Ghost

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
vista will not be used as a default os

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Ok, can I on my Dell, install a version of Vista (the one you think is the best or final release) on my unused 80GB HD? Like keeping XP on the C:, but try Vista on the unused HD, just to see if I like it and if my computer can handle it. And lets say I like it how do it keep Vista as my main OS, and uninstall XP, leaving me with only Vista. And once thats done can I transfer all my files from C: to D:. Or should I install Vista on my 320GB primary, keep the files, and uninstall XP.

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 01 December 2006 - 01:02 PM.