Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer not Printing Networked Laptop

• Please log in to reply

sires6

sires6

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Works on main computer but not on the laptop. I feel like a knuckle head, because I can't figure out the problem and why it won't print other stuff.

I have windows xp, mozilla tbird, mozilla firefox, and openoffice (most recent build)

Advertisements

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
are your programs set to the right default print?

sires6

sires6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I deleted old printer, installed new one, and it's set as default printer.

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Is your printer connected to a network or by usb directly to your computer

sires6

sires6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The printer is connected to my Main computer, a desktop, while my laptop is connected to the router

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
hello,

So if I understand you right your printer is printing from the desktop computer but not the lap top? Do you have the right drivers installed? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers on the lap top? :whistling:

sires6

sires6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, you are correct. Same drivers on both. Laptop can print in Wordpad or Notepad, but not anything else, I get a "Printing Failed When Starting the Document" error. I've discovered it may only be in Firefox, because it printed when I used OpenOffice??? So, that should mean that I need to look in Firefox... let me see if there's an update for Firefox

No, no update for firefox.

Edited by sires6, 27 November 2006 - 11:44 AM.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I really hate to say this but since Firefox came out it has had bugs like this. I hate to automatically blame the browser for failed printing but can you open the same page in IE or another browser and print it? If so, Firefox may be the blame. I've never noticed a problem on my end since I've updated it but I also do not use openoffice.

Let us know what you discover.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Also what type of printer are you using? Please list the name and type.

Thanks. :whistling:

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
If the printer is using your router you may also need to tell your printer which port it needs to use, I am not completely sure about this but this can be the case with older printers.

sires6

sires6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Brand new printer... I really think it's Firefox but I haven't tested it with all the other programs.