Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown RAM

• Please log in to reply

equinox55

equinox55

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
HEy Guys and gals I have a stick of ram that i removed from an older computrer in our electronic class at school. The trouble is i don't know how much it is or what kind. The numbers on it are P929712 - that is on a sticker. Printed on the ram is PF75043-10-931 on the front is another code - P528168WBS6GIA REV.A

Thanks Davis

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Numbers are so hard to find.

The old 72 pin EDO simms are PC66 memory usually in 4 MB, 8 MB, 16MB, 32MB, and up to 128 Mb sticks. There is a breaking notch in the middle of the pins ( where it connects to the motherboard).

Soon after came the 168 pin PC66, PC100, and PC133 memory that had 2 notches in the pins and usually came in 32, 64, 128 MB sticks. There are some 256 & 512 sticks but they are hard to find.

Then there was the 184 pin DDR266, DDR333, and DDR400 memory which went back to the single notch in the pins.

There were so many varations on these memorys the easist method to find out what they are is to stick them in a computer they will fit and see what it says. You really cannot say the amount of memory on the stick by them being single sided or double sided. That usually has to do with the density of the memory. On most of the computers low density worked better than high density.

SRX660

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
double post

Edited by SRX660, 27 November 2006 - 03:55 PM.

equinox55

equinox55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thanks i gusse the only why is to install it and see, anything i should do before install , once installed how do i see if the pc is using it

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of two things will happen when you install new memory to the computer. First is that the computer sees the memory. If it does it will usually add the amount on the stick to the amount already in the computer. A good program here is Everest that will tell you what kind of memory it is( PC66, pc100, ETC and amount of memory on stick).

The other thing that might happen is the comyter won't boot or crashes soon after booting. This tells you the memory stick is probably bad. Again Everest has a memory test you can do to check the memory to see if its good.

SRX660

equinox55

equinox55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
all right thanks i will do that tonight sorry for the late reply i just have been so busy and all. i hope you have a good xmas and a happy new year!

This topic can be colsed.

Thnak you

Davis