Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

zekedog

zekedog

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
windows 98 system was locking up on the win98 screen. I reformatted hd on another pc and reinstalled operating system on hd on that computer. When the screen said pc will restart I turned off pc and put that Hd on the problem pc. tried to start and even put in floppy to start. The system will not go past the 98 screen that freezes. I did try to put the new operating system on the problem pc and it won't recongnise anything.

Advertisements

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
try booting from a cd or a jumb drive.

zekedog

zekedog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried that and didn't work either.

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hmm. that is odd why are you using 98 anyways. You should at least get 2000 they stopped updating 98 and you can get viruses really easily. I dont know what else can be wrong so you should ask a admin but you should think of getting a newer operating system.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
This could be a hardware conflict or just a bad device. Remove everything except for your mouse keyboard and monitor. If you have and extra keyboard or mouse and it still continues, I would try swapping them out one at a time.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you formatted the hard drive what file system did you use? Win98 uses the FAT32 file system, it can use the FAT16 but will not be able to work with the NTFS.

Also, did you check the hard drive to see that it was working properly? You can usually download a bootable diagnostic floppy form the dirve makers website to check it with. Scandisk by itself is not an adequate test.

zekedog

zekedog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I formatted a newer hd to FAT32. I also ran defrag & scan disk

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
How I setup win98

Things you will need win98 startup floppy disk and win98CDRom and serial number
Insert the floppy disk choose start computer with cdrom support

Format the hard drive with the S switch

Format C:\S

Make a directory at the root of C called win9x

C:\ md win9x

Insert the 98 cd change to the cdrom drive

Change to the win98 directory C:\cd win98

and type

Copy *.* C:\win9x

This will copy all the cab files to the win9x directory on the hard drive

Reboot the computer and take out the floppy disk and the win98 CD you should end up
With C:\ at the command prompt, type C:\cd win9x then you will have this at the prompt
C:\win9x then type setup

This will install win98 from the hard drive rather than the cdrom,
Also the cabs will remain on the drive and when installing new hardware it will not ask for the win98 cd as the cab file are on the drive and as you setup from the drive there will be an entry in the registry where to find them.